November 29, 2018
There is no discrimination in Bangla: Mamata Banerjee
Bangla Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today addressed a public meeting at Jamuria in Paschim Bardhaman district. She inaugurated and laid the foundation stones of several projects in the district.
The CM also distributed several government benefits on the occasion.
Highlights of her speech:
- My heartiest greetings to all on the occasion of various festivities.
- In Bihar, you get one day holiday for Chhath Puja. But in Bangla we have declared two days’ holiday.
- We celebrate all festivals equally. We believe in Sarva Dharma Samannay. We do not discriminate among people. We participate in Durga Puja, Kali Puja, Nabi Dibas, Guru Nanak’s birthday, Christmas. We also celebrate Adivasi Dibas, Chhatro-Jubo Dibas.
- Whether you speak Hindi or Banglai, we all live in harmony. We are all united. This happens only in Bangla. We do not engage in divisive politics for the sake of winning elections.
- We created a new district in Asansol. We have set up multi super speciality hospital. District court, ITI, polytechnic, stadium, Krishi Tirtha, Karma Tirtha, cold storage, ICCU, HDU, FPDC, Hindi college in Asansol.
- We have set up Andal airport in Asansol district, named after Nazrul Islam. He was born in Churulia.
- From flyovers to roads, new educational institutes to hospitals – we have created new infrastructure.
- What do you call those who cannot perform any work? They are good for nothing. They only incite riots to create divisions between people.
- We have allotted 4000 acres of land to DVC. New airport is coming up at Burnpur. World’s biggest coal mine is being developed in Deocha Pachami. It will create employment. Durgapur has received a lot of investment in MSME.
- Our government is here to serve you. Have faith on us.
- Raniganj is a landslide-prone area. We are constructing 45,000 houses there. Cooperate with us for your own safety. Opposition parties are trying to mislead people. Do not pay heed to them. Think about your own safety and security.
- Jamuria and Kulti have the problem of scarcity of water. We are addressing that issue. Work will continue in the future.
- I want to congratulate Asansol and Raniganj chambers of commerce for their cooperation.
- Bardhaman is the most agriculture-dependent district in Bangla. We are always with the farmers. We have waived off khajna tax on agricultural land. We have also abolished the mutation fee on agricultural land.
- Our government is number one in the country in minority welfare. We have given scholarships to 1.7 crore minority students.
- We provide rice at Rs 2/kg to more than 8.5 crore people. We buy the rice for Rs 25/kg and give a subsidy of Rs 23/kg on the same. We want people to have access to food, if not anything else.
- Earlier Kanyashree girls used to get Rs 750 as scholarship. It has been increased to Rs 1000. If they remain unmarried at 18, they will get an one time grant of Rs 25,000. We have extended Kanyashree scheme to university students (K3). All girls have been brought under the scheme, irrespective of their caste, creed, religion or community.
- Families with income less than Rs 1.5 lakh per annum will get Rs 25,000 from the government for the marriage of their daughters. This is called Rupashree scheme.
- Students are getting Sabuj Sathi cycles. We have also hiked the pension of farmers.
- We have instituted Samajik Suraksha Scheme. You have to pay Rs 25 and government will give Rs 30. At 60 years of age, you will get a pension and Rs 2 lakh from the government. If a person dies of natural causes before that, a compensation of Rs 50,000 will be paid to the family (Rs 10 lakh for death due to accident).
- Retirement age of casual and contractual workers has been increased to 60 years.
- We provide rice at 37 paise at tea gardens. We are working for the welfare of jute workers. They receive Rs 1500 every three months as assistance.
- We have registered more than 2 lakh Lok Prasar Prakalpa artistes. They recieve a monthly stipend of Rs 1000 and perform in government functions and government ads.
- The Centre stopped giving money for the salaries of ASHA workers. We are giving them a honourarium of Rs 3000 every month. Ninety per cent of the salary of ICDS workers was borne by the Centre in the past. Now it has been reduced to 30 per cent. We have increased their honourarium by Rs 1000.
- The salary of civic volunteers has been hiked from Rs 3000 to Rs 8000. The salary of parateachers and contractual has also been increased.
- The Prani Mitras used to receive Rs 400 per month during Left rule. We have hiked it to Rs 1500.
- Work with pride and honour. We will maintain good relations with Jharkhand. If Jharkhand remains happy, we will remain happy. We will contest elections in Jharkhand in 2019.
- BJP is bringing people from other States, with jhanda in one hand and danda in another. They are causing trouble here. The same party’s government in Delhi is looting people. Bring change in Delhi. People are not getting loans from banks. There is unemployment. Everyone is suffering.
- I am also a Hindu. But not like the BJP. I worship Durga, Kali. Don’t Muslims participate in Hindu festivals? We participate in Eid, Christmas, Guru Nanak Jayanti. We believe in equality of all religions. We fast for Chhath Puja as well as for Ramzan. Where is the difference?
- Do we not feel bad if we do not get thekua during Chhath Puja? Don’t we eat halua during Guru Nanak Jayanti? We also eat cake during Christmas. Durga Puja is incomplete without bhog. This shows that we believe in equality of all religions. We have to live in peace, harmony.
- We must be united. There should not be any discrimination. Someone may speak Hindi, someone Bangla and someone else may speak in Ol Chiki. But we are all one.
- I am proud of my Kanyashree girls. They are the best in the world. Our Sabuj Sathi students will lead the country one day.
- We must prevent the division of the country. We must keep our country united. Bangla will lead the way.
- We have good relations with Bihar, Jharkhand and Odisha.
- We do not want you to face bura din. Our government is with you. The amount of work we have done in seven years, is unmatched. We even give financial assistance for cremation/burial.
- I want to assure my Hindi speaking brothers and sisters – there is no difference between you and me. We love me.
- They are driving Bengalis away from Assam, Biharis from Gujarat. We will fight for humanity.
- We are proud of our motherland. We are proud of Bangla, we are proud of India.
- People are saying enough is enough. They have suffered a lot. Not anymore.
- A new industrial corridor is coming up from Panagarh to Raghunathpur. Lot of employment opportunities are being created.