November 2, 2018
Mamata Banerjee begins Kali Puja inaugurations
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today began the inaugurations of Kali Pujas in Kolkata today. She started the Kali Puja inaugurations this year at a Kali Puja pandal in Girish Park.
She extended her advance wishes to the people on the occasion of Kali Puja, Diwali, Chhat Puja and Jagatdhatri Puja
Highlights of the Chief Minister’s speech:
- There is a saying that Bengalis observe 13 festivals in 12 months. Festivals are the biggest unifier. We observed Durga Puja few days ago – from households to apartments, housings to clubs – everyone participated. Crores of people participated in the festivities. I congratulate the administration for managing the festival so well.
- Bengal’s Durga Puja is now famous all over the world. Durga Puja carnival is one of the most important festivals across the globe.
- Some people say Kali Puja, some say Shyama Puja while others say Deepavali. Some people light lamps, while some light candles. We all observe festivals as per our customs and traditions. Religion is personal while festivals are for all.
- Ganesh Utsav is a big festival in Maharashtra. It is celebrated in Bengal also. We have different cultures but we share the joy.
- I pray to Maa Kali to give lead us to enlightenment. Help us remove divisive mentality, violence, discrimination, oppression from the world. Let the light of festivities help us achieve mukti.
- Many clubs observe Kali Puja. The theme of this club is the many facets of Maa Kali.
- Enjoy the festivities but keep in mind that your enjoyment should not become the cause of pain for others.
- We want the festive season to end on a peaceful note. I seek strength, happiness and health for all from Maa Kali.