November 20, 2018
Monthly stipend under Swami Vivekananda Merit-cum-Means Scholarship doubled
The State Government’s Higher Education Department is inviting applications for the Swami Vivekananda Merit-cum-Means Scholarship (SVMCMS) for 2018-19 from meritorious students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
Through the scholarship scheme, a monthly stipend is paid to students, the amount depending on the course they are applying for, the minimum amount being Rs 1,000 and the maximum amount being Rs 8,000.
Students need to apply online for the scheme through the SVMCMS website, the last date being November 30.
For any information, people can also call the toll-free number, 1800 102 8014.
The monthly scholarships are as follows:
- For higher secondary (HS): Rs 1,000
- For BA & BCom: Rs 1,000
- For BSc, professional courses, engineering diploma & medical diploma: Rs 1,500
- For medical degree (MBBS/BDS) & engineering degree (BE/BTech): Rs 5,000
- For MA & MCom: Rs 2,000
- For MSc & vocational courses: Rs 2,500
- For engineering (ME/MTech) & AICTE-accredited professional courses: Rs 5,000
- For non-NET MPhil: Rs 5,000
- For non-NET PhD: Rs 8,000
- For NET-lecturership PhD: Rs 8,000
Criteria for the scholarships:
- Resident of Bengal
- For regular courses (not correspondence courses)
- Annual Family income less than Rs 2.5 lakh
- Marks required: Min. 75% in HS for any undergraduate course, min. 53% in Hons. course for any postgraduate course, min. 55% in BE/BTech for ME/MTech