May 9, 2014
Statement by Trinamool Congress
Dr Amit Mitra, the National Spokesperson of Trinamool Congress and the Minister of Finance, Commerce and Industry Minister of West Bengal Government today addressed thepress regarding the Supreme Court decision in Saradha case. Here is thestatement:
- The decision of the SC comes just 2 days before the major and final roundof polls in West Bengal. However, we respect the Constitution and theJudiciary. West Bengal Government welcomes the Supreme Court (SC) judgment onSaradha scam.
- We are happy to hear that the SC has praised the work of the SpecialInvestigation Team (SIT) appointed by the West Bengal Government. We have alsocome to know that the SC has decided that SIT will keep investigating the caseswhere it has lodged charge sheets already.
- Several cases like the murders in Netai and murders in Nandigram are beinginvestigated by CBI but they have failed to do justice for years. Hope CBI willbe successful in the investigation of Saradha case.
- What we have learnt is that SC entrusted the probe to CBI becauseinvestigation has to be carried out in other States and Other Countries of theworld on matters like money laundering.
- Hope the CBI will also shed light and bring to books the perpetrators of Sanchayitathat happened in 1980s. People were duped & have not got their money backeven today.
- Saradha started its operations in 2006 when the Left Front, led by CPI(M) wasin power. I have myself tabled in WB Assembly pictures of CPI(M) leadersholding hands with Saradha bosses at several events. CPI(M) mouthpiece Ganashaktinewspaper has received funds from Saradha in the form of advertisements foryears. This must be probed. The publication of Ganashakti called the Dialreceived advertisement from Saradha pages after pages, year after year. Thistoo must be probed.
- Our government took an unprecedented step of forming a Commission to returnmoney to people duped by Saradha. Nowhere in the world has a Commission everbeen made to return money to people duped by ponzi schemes.
- 4 lakh people have already got their money back. 2.5 lakh people more willget money back as processed before the Code of Conduct came into effect. Thiscan be implemented after the Elections.
- It is our Government that arrestedour own MP. Which other Party has done so in the wake of all the corruptioncharges in the Nation.
- We hope the probe by the CBI will be free and fair and justice will be doneto all the people duped by Saradha.
- Additionally, the media must highlight the fact that SC has said that SITis free to carry on their investigation as per their charge sheets.
- We are happy that the SC has appreciated the initiative taken by the WBGovt to return money to people.
- Our Government passed a Bill in the West Bengal Legislative Assembly to legallyempower the State to act against chit funds. We sent it to the Centre forPresidential assent. Accepting the advice of the Centre, we passed a secondBill with modification the Centre suggested. Yet, the Centre is still sittingover our Bill against chit funds. They have to answer why they are doing so.
- People must know the chit fund scams started during Left Front regime. Wedo not know of any amount of money returned to the investors of Sanchayitascam. What action did the Left Front take against Saradha, after it was foundedin 2006?
- In 2009, the Left Front passed a faultyBill against chit funds which was rejected by the Centre.
- The Bill we sent to Centre for Presidential assent could have empowered theState machinery to act against chit funds. But the Centre has still notapproved our Bill. Our hands are tied behind our back. Even then we have formeda Commission, we have constituted SIT. We have arrested and filed chargesagainst perpetrators. We have returned money to 4 lakh poor people who wereduped and another 2.5 lakh await being compensated by the State.
- With full confidence I say, what Bengal has done today what the rest of Indiaand the world will follow tomorrow.