May 26, 2014
Six new municipal corporations to come up in Bengal
With the aim of providing better civicamenities to the people of West Bengal, the Trinamool Congress led governmenthas decided to form six municipal corporations from 17 existing municipalitiesacross the state. The legal processes and area demarcation will, includingnecessary notification processes will begin soon.
The issues were discussed at the cabinetmeeting to be held today at Nabanna. Chief Minister Ms. Mamata Banerjeeaddressed the press after the meeting.
Theproposed new municipal corporations are:
- Barasat – Includes Rajarhat-Gopalpur, Madhyamgram,Barasat and NewBarrackpore
- Barrackpore – Includes Barrackpore, Titagarh, Barrckpur North, Bhatpara,Garuliya,Naihati, Halishahar and Kanchrapara
- DumDum – Includes Kamarhati, Khardah,Panihati, SouthDum Dum and North Dum Dum
- Maheshtala – Includes Maheshtala, Pujali and Budge Budge
Corporationswith added areas:
- Serampore – Bansberia, Hooghly-Chinshurah, Uttarpara-Kotrang, Serampore,Rishra, Konnagar Chanpdani, Chandannagar and Bhadreswar will be clubbed withthe Chandannagar Municipal Corporation
- Howrah– Bali will be included in Howrah MunicipalCorporation
- Asansol – Kulti, Raniganj and Jamuria added to Asansol MunicipalCorporation
The small municipalities cannot undertakebig projects. Neither are they allowed to change the tax system. They are noteligible to take loans from organizations like the World Bank. Once these areasare brought under a municipal corporation, the citizens will get betterservices.