April 6, 2014
1000 days at a glance: Achievements of the Public Works Department
The Public Works Department of the West Bengal Government has been working relentlessly to serve the people of Bengal. From roads to bridges, administrative buildings to educational institutes, the department has helped in the surge of development in Bengal.
- Upgradation of about 4,000 km of road to double lane or intermidiate lane.
- Construction of 16 big bridges and 5 flyovers on railway tracks has been completed.
- Historical steps like shifting of state`s secretariat to Nabanna at Howrah for renovation of Writers` Buildings has been taken and the work of this shifting has been done within 2 months. The renovation work of the Writers` Buildings keeping the historical heritage of the edifice, will commence soon.
- The work for construction of bridge over the river Subarnarekha at Bhasaraghat in the district of Paschim Medinipur involving ` 170 crore is going on at rapid pace.
- The construction work of flyover at VIP Road being 1.9 kilometre by length in between Kestopur and Joramandir for easy movement of Airport-bound traffic is going on.
- In order to provide passengers` amenity the work is going on for 70 nos. of roadside passengers` Amenity Centre, Pathasathi and 82 nos of pay & use toilets accross the state. Besides, work for 18 nos. of pay & use toilets will begin soon.
- A seven-storied Rheumatology Dept and a two-storied night shelter (for patient parties) have been constructed at SSKM hospital.
- In order to enhance administrative transperancy, e-procurement and e-tendering have been introduced.
- The West Bengal Highway Development Corporation Ltd. has been constituted for the development of all the highways accross the state.
- WBHDCL has taken up the project of turning the 44 km stretch of Delhi Road (Dankuni- Mogra-Ishwar Gupta setu) into four lanes.
- WBHDCL will also construct 3000 km road in PPP model.
- Proposal for development of AH-2 (from Nepal to Bangladesh Corridoor) and AH-48 (from Bhutan to Bangladesh Corridor) under the SASEC (South-Asia Sub-regional Economic cooperation) with the assistance from ADB has been adopted.
- Special project for the development of Jangalmahal:
- The construction works of 12 new school buildings & hostels, one PTTI, 74 hostels for girls (with 50 seats each), 4 new colleges, 3 new stadia, 1 sports academy, 1 polytechnic, 2 ITIs & 1 SDC have been taken up.
- Amongst these the construction of 48 new girls hostels (with 50 seats each) & I stadium have been completed.
- Widening & strengthening of 210 km of road has been completed.
Development of Roads & Bridges:
- A project has been taken up to build 160 roads and 11 bridges under BRGF. Out of total 2281 km of roads, 1163 km of roads and building of 2 bridges is complete.
- 422 of projects out of 621 under state plan have been completed. Widening and development of 3503 km roads have also been done. 41 bridges out of proposed , have been completed. Besides, 87 projects for making 10 new bridges will start soon.
- Construction of flyovers over railway-tracks of Dankuni, Barrackpore, Durgapur, Baruipur & Kharagpur IIT has been done.
- Construction works of 46 more bridges are under progress.
- WBHDCL has already started work on 4-lanes of Dankuni-Chandannagar portion of SH-13. Construction of Chandannaggar-Mogra portion will start soon. The works for widening of connecting road between STKK link road and SH-6 and building of 6-lane flyover at Mogra have also been taken up.
Schemes for development of health infrastructure:
- Linear Accelerator Facility building has been constructed under Radiotherapy department at NRS Medical College & Hospital.
- Two storied building of Uluberia sub-divisional hospital where Labour Room has been constructed on the ground floor and Neo Natal Unit has been constructed on the first floor.
- Construction works of Trauma Centre and Orthopaedic centre are going on at SSKM & R.G. Kar Hospital.
- Construction work of six storied building of Mental Hospital in Lumbini Park is going on.
- Construction works of new Academic Building at IPGME&R and SSKM Hospital are going on.
Schemes for upliftment of Education:
- Construction works of Govt. Engineering College and Leather Technology Building at Salt Lake have been completed.
- Construction work of Annexe Building at Baker Govt. Hostel has been completed.
- Construction work of Minorities Building & Meeting Hall for minorities & madrasah education in Hooghly district has been completed.
- Work of Aliah University in Kolkata is going on.
- Construction work of govt. sponsered Women University in Diamond Harbour is going on.
- Construction work of Kazi Nazrul Islam University in Burdwan is going on.
- Construction work of govt. sponsored university in Bankura is going on.