February 13, 2019
Mamata Banerjee lays the foundation stone for Gorkha Welfare Centre in New Delhi
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee inaugurated the Gorkha Welfare Centre in New Delhi today.
Highlights of her speech:
I am very happy today because a Gorkha Welfare Centre is being set up in the national capital for all my Gorkha brothers and sisters from the Hills. On this occasion I would like to congratulate the GTA, all residents of Darjeeling as well as all my Gorkha brothers and sisters across the globe.
This is the first time a Welfare Centre is being built for the Gorkhas in the national capital. All my brothers and sisters from the hills are educated and talented; while they live in different parts of the country to earn a living, this Centre will provide a place for their residence outside the state. Those who come to Delhi for education or for medical treatment or for work, can stay at this Centre. This is the first time that they are getting their own ‘Bhavan’.
85 per cent of this Centre will be used for residential purpose while the remaining 15 per cent will be used for institutional purpose.
A few days back we inaugurated a similar Centre in Siliguri’s Matigara, which the people of Hills can use as residence during matters of urgency or for work purposes in the plains. Kolkata too has a similar Gorkha Bhavan.
I would like to congratulate the GTA because the Centre is the result of their continuous pursuance. In the future, this Centre will prove to be highly useful.
The Centre will contain 32 rooms and will come up at a cost of Rs 20 crore. Moreover, the Centre will also house a conference hall, a library, a help desk and reception. Anyone coming to Delhi can avail any assistance at this Centre.
My best wishes to all of you on this historic day.