June 26, 2018
Trinamool calls current situation in country a Super Emergency and more
Super Emergency – Constitution and Organs of State under threat:-
· The Lok Sabha in the budget session sat for 21% of its allotted time and the Rajya Sabha sat for 27% of its allotted time.
· LS spent 14 minutes on government bills, RS spent 3 minutes
· According to PRS Legislative Research, this was the least productive budget session since 2000.
· Bills are not being considered by standing committees before being passed.
· Questions have been raised about the independent functioning of the judiciary.
· Journalists are being threatened in Kashmir to tow the party line or face Shujaat Bukhari’s fate
. A strong independent media is the backbone of a democracy
Even the Executive itself is under threat
· Union Minister of External Affairs was trolled and abused for ensuring that two Indian citizens are rightfully given their passports irrespective of their religion.
· What the PM says: He will not give money to states who are ‘against Vikas’ according to him.
· What he actually means: Check the railway budget –
State governments ruled by BJP including Uttarakhand, Rajasthan, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh got a budget increase of 170%, 30%, 20% and 20% respectively.
State government ruled by opposition including Delhi, Kerala and West Bengal got minus 40%, minus 25%, minus 14%
· I will not demean the official page of All India Trinamool Congress by taking the name of West Bengal BJP chief who has threatened the state government of West Bengal and the Trinamool Congress Party workers with ‘Encounter’
· Protest outside TMC office in Delhi just because Mamata Banerjee raised her voice against the BJP during the administrative crisis in Delhi
Political Vendetta against opposition –
· CBI is being used for political vendetta against opposition leaders who are criticising and questioning the government. CBI is the best ‘alliance partner’ for the BJP right now.
There is hope –
· Just as a government was voted out of power after the 1975 Emergency, this government will also be thrown out of power for the Super Emergency.
· Trinamool Congress has a role to play and we will play the role. We are ready to play the role of a squirrel in a garden, quietly going about its work.
· To end this Super Emergency, you don’t need the political parties to come together. That will happen. People of India have come together to defeat the BJP. India will win.
– Derek O’Brien – Parliamentary Party Leader (RS) AITC