June 11, 2018
Pursue a career of your choice, undaunted by any adversity: Bengal CM to board toppers
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today felicitated the toppers of Madhyamik, Higher Secondary, ICSE, CBSE, ISC and WBJEE examinations. The felicitation programme was held at Netaji Indoor Stadium.
It was Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who had initiated the programme to felicitate the toppers in the state from all boards.
In her speech, she congratulated all the students for securing a rank in the merit list, in this age of competition. She also urged them to stick to the values imparted by their teachers and parents, and pursue a career of their choice, undaunted by any adversity.
Highlights of the Chief Minister’s speech:
- My best wishes to all the students who aced the various board exams and secured top ranks. I want to mention the toppers of Madhyamik exam, because it is the first board exam of their life, an experience which comes once in a lifetime.
- In this age of tough competition to secure a rank in the merit list is no mean feat. Times are changing, the infrastructure has improved. Teaching methods have undergone a change. There are more opportunities.
- There are many stories of struggle, we must salute those. There may be students whose parents may not be well-to-do, and have to make ends meet to buy them books. We must recognise their struggle too.
- Our teachers play a major role in shaping our future. The students are their pride. The talent that teachers create requires a lot of dedication, determination and devotion; this is unmatched.
- There was a time when teachers used to think twice before giving full marks. But our students have to compete with the world now. So, I had requested our Education Minister to ensure our students also get marks at par with ICSE or CBSE. They have done really well.
- I want you to use your talent and pursue a stream which you like. I would urge you not to neglect the teachers who taught you, or your parents, or even the land where you received your education. This is a learning for your life.
- Our parents imparted values in us. They taught us Rabindranath-Nazrul, the ideals of Swami Vivekananda and Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose. They instilled a sense of patriotism and harmony in us. This helped in shaping our conscience.
- We have learnt not to bow our heads before any hindrance. We should not be afraid of any turbulence. We have to keep marching ahead.
- Talent from Bengal is famous all over the world. We all have our roots in the villages.
- Your merit should be your pride. Your skill will help shape your future. Some of you will become doctors, some engineers, some may become professors, some may choose research.
- We have set up 22 new universities, 6 more are coming up. We have set up 47 new colleges and 7 new medical colleges. 13 new medical colleges are in the pipeline. Number of medical seats has gone up, and we have to keep increasing the number of seats.
- Granthan, who secured the first rank in Higher Secondary exam, has proved even a student of humanities can secure full marks. No matter which stream you choose, you all must excel in your respective fields.