August 8, 2014
We are reviving the handloom industry: WB CM in Nadia
West Bengal Chief Minister Ms MamataBanerjee reached Nadia on Thursday evening for the last leg of her districtvisit in South Bengal. In every district she and the delegation of officersfrom the State Secretariat had been chairing review meetings with the districtofficials to take stock of the progress of ongoing developmental works in eachdistrict.
TheChief Minister held a review meeting for the Nadia and Murshidabaddistricts at the renovated Rabindra Bhavan at Krishnanagar.Later, she addressed a public meeting at the Shantipur Stadium Ground whereshe inaugurated 91 projects and laid the foundation stones for 77 newprojects for Nadia.
The projects the Chief Minister inaugurated today include the Indian Institute of Handloom Technology at Fulia and theIndian Institute of Information Technology at Kalyani.
TheWest Bengal Chief Minister also inaugurated 58 projects and laid the foundationstones for 53 more projects for Murshidabad district. Among the projects theChief Minister inaugurated today were the Motijheel Tourism Centre anddifferent Health services utilities.
The Chief Minister also distributed benefits under different governmental schemes to the people of both thedistricts.
The Chief Minister will visit North Bengal onAugust 12, where she will conduct administrative review meetings for theDinajpurs. It is expected that she will visit the Kulik Bird Sanctuary atRaiganj. She will also lay the foundation stone for the multi specialtyhospital at Raiganj District Hospital complex. Later she will visit thedistrict of Malda before returning to Kolkata.
WB CM will join the celebration ofKanyashree Dibas on August 14 at Netaji Indoor Stadium in Kolkata.
Highlights of her speech:
- Almost 50% of the population of thedistrict have received benefits of various Govt schemes.
- We have set up 9 fair price medicineshops here which offer 60-70% discounts.
- We have decided to set up AIIMS in Nadiadistrict. The land has been identified.
- IIIT is coming up at Kalyani.
- We are setting up 3 Karma Tirtha marketing hubs in Nadia, 500 such hubs coming upacross Bengal.
- We are developing MSME clusters in Nadia.
- Indian Institute of Handloom Technologywas inaugurated at Fulia today.
- We have completed projects for which welaid the foundation stone earlier. In the past, only stones were laid.
- We are laying stress on sports. We havedeveloped Krishnanagar stadium, Ranaghat stadium.
- We are setting up fair price diagnosticcentres.
- We have started Shishu Sathi scheme for the free surgery of children.
- We have started breast milk bank formothers called Madhur Sneha.
- We have started Yuvashree scheme for unemployed youths.
- We have started Kanyashree scheme for girls, Shikhashreefor SC/ST students.
- We will celebrate August 14 as Kanyashree Dibas. Girls are our assets.Let them stand on their feet. If girls progress, Bengal will progress. We haveseen Mothers' Day, Fathers' Day, Brothers' Day but no Daughters' Day. So westarted Kanyashree Dibas.
- We have started skill developmenttraining of youths. Samsung/Raymonds are partnering with us 9 lakh youths willbe trained.
- Some people want to incite violence andbloodshed. Keep your mind positive.
- Do not pay heed to the media. They wantto spread lies. They only spread negativity.
- Bengal has temples, mosques, churches,gurdwaras. We all live in peace.
- These days some people want to bring inreligion in every crime. Criminals have no religion. Criminals are criminals.
- Every form of labour has its owndignity. We should not look down upon someone who builds roads or works at atea shop.
- The Left incurred debts worth lakhs ofcrores. The Centre is taking away a major share of our revenue for instalments.
- We have increased our revenue earningbut the Centre is taking major part of our revenue.
- We have started 20 new women's policestations. We have set up 8 new universities. Bengal had only 6 SNSUs till 2011.We have set up 34 new units.
- We have revived the handloom industry.
- NH-34 needs repair. We have written tothe Central Government.
- We do not want Central funds. Let Centrenot take our revenues and taxes.
- The Centre is planning to restrict 100days work scheme only to a few blocks. What will people in other blocks do?
- Now they are bringing FDI in Railways.They have deprived Bengal in Rail Budget.
- I have completed district tours. I havevisited all districts once after polls. Next week I will go to Dinajpur.
- Earlier people had to go to Kolkata. Nowthe Secretariat visits the districts.