August 13, 2014
5 facts about Room No. 5
- Lok Sabha Secretariat vide a letter dated August 6, 2014, allotted Room Number 5 on the ground floor of the Parliament House to All India Trinamool Congress Parliamentary Party for the tenure of 16th Lok Sabha.
- Lok Sabha Secretariat vide a letter dated August 8, 2014, allocated Room No. 135 and 136 on the third floor of the Parliament House to the Telugu Desam Party (TDP).
- On August 11, 2014, Leader of Trinamool in Lok Sabha, Sri Sudip Bandyopadhyay informally asked the TDP Parliamentary Party leader when can Trinamool take possession of Room No. 5. The TDP leader refused to vacate the room citing “we have been here for 30 years and have a sentimental attachment to the room”.
- Lok Sabha Secretariat were informed and they went and changed the boards. TDP board was removed by LS Secretariat (who report to the Hon. Speaker). The Secretariat also put up the board of All India Trinamool Congress Parliamentary Party outside Room 5.
- Nobody tried to forcibly enter the room. TDP went to the media with their version of the story and a section of the media ran the story without cross-checking the facts.
Trinamool Congress, who do not have a room in the Parliament for 5 years,were allotted Room 5 on the ground floorby the LS Secretariat.TMC has 46 MPs while TDP has 23. We are still hopefulthat the matter will be sorted out soon and TDP will be gracious enough tosettle the issue amicably.