August 24, 2014
Dr Amit Mitra had this to say about Mr Arun Jaitley`s comments on Sunday
Union Minister of Finance and Defense, Mr Arun Jaitley, today questioned West Bengal Chief Minister Ms Mamata Banerjee's opposition to FDI in defense and her trip to Singapore to seek foreign investment.
State Finance & Industries Minister Dr Amit Mitra had this to say about Mr Arun Jaitley`s comments on Sunday:
- It is extremely sad that something like this came from Mr Arun Jaitley. Either he is not aware or he made the comment purposefully, even after knowing all that has been happening in Bengal.
- Mr Jaitley came here to participate in a finance-related discussion instead politicized the event.
- The Singapore visit by the Bengal Chief Minister had the participation of around 150 representatives from the business community. They did not participate without any reason.
- Bengal has been seeing investments by Changi, HR Johnson. 10 days back, the West Bengal CM inaugurated a cement factory at Barjora. After all this, such a comment by Mr Jaitley is unacceptable.
- We protest against such comments. Mr Jaitley is doing politics though he is well aware of the situation. West Bengal did not expect this from him.
- It is also shocking that in such sensitive areas as defence, the government is risking the security of the country by allowing FDI. As defence minister, he must be aware that 75% of India's nuclear submarines are produced by the country's top private and public sector companies, whose capabilities would be undermined by the new policy. He may not be aware that cutting-edge technology in defence in US and Europe cannot be transferred to any other country. So, the technology-denial regime exists in defence.