August 1, 2014
All You Need To Know About Encephalitis
Encephalitis is inflammation of thebrain. The inflammation is caused either by an infection invading the brain(infectious); or through the immune system attacking the brain in error(post-infectious or autoimmune Encephalitis).
Japanese Encephalitis virus istransmitted between small birds by mosquitoes, called 'Culex' mosquitoes.Additionally, when pigs are infected, they can make a lot of the virus and thiscan then infect a lot of mosquitoes. Humans become infected by mosquitoes coincidentallyand are not part of the natural cycle.
Japanese Encephalitis virus has alwaysbeen recognized as a killer.
The symptoms of Encephalitis can rangefrom mild to severe. Each type can have its own particular set of symptoms.
- Neck stiffness
- General feeling of being unwell
- Headache will continue to get moresevere
- Very high fever
- Slower movements
- Light sensitivity
- Severe dementia
Symptomsin very young children:
- Bulging fontanel (soft spot in thescalp)
- Non-stop crying
- Body stiffness
- Lack of appetite
It is very important to go to aphysician immediately if any of the above symptoms are present.
- There is no specific treatment forJapanese virus Encephalitis. Current management consists of treating thecomplications of the disease such as high fever and aches, low blood pressure,blood loss, convulsions (fits), or raised intra-cranial pressure.
- Wear loose, light-coloured, long-sleevedtops and trousers, and apply effective insect repellents containing DEET toexposed parts of the body & clothing.
- Use mosquito screens or bed nets whenthe room is not air-conditioned.
- Apply household pesticide to kill adultmosquito with a dosage according to the label instructions. Do not spray thepesticides directly against functioning electrical appliances or flame to avoidexplosion.
- Place mosquito coil or electric mosquitomat / liquid near possible entrance, such as window, to prevent mosquito bites.
- Prevent the accumulation of stagnantwater
a. Put all used cans and bottles intocovered dustbins.
b. Change water for plants at least oncea week, leaving no water in the saucers underneath flower pots.
c. Cover tightly all water containers,wells and water storage tanks.
d. Ensure air-conditioner drip trays arefree of stagnant water.
e. Keep all drains free from blockage.
f. Top up all defective ground surfacesto prevent the accumulation of stagnant water.
- Birds like storks and animals,especially pigs are responsible for the Japanese Encephalitis Virus. If thereare pig sty in the locality, use Neem leaves in the sty among otherdisinfectants. Try to sleep as much away as possible from the sleeping placesof animals and birds.