July 16, 2014
WB Govt launches five-point programme to handle rogue taxi drivers
The State government announced a five-pointprogramme to handle rogue taxi drivers and cases of taxi refusals in and aroundthe Kolkata. Transport Minister Mr Madan Mitra laid down the five tenets aftermeeting police officers and taxi union representatives.
- Taxi owners have tosend details of the drivers to local police stations – The details will includea copy of the driver`s ID card. “The owner can`t justmake money. He has to be responsible as well,” Mr Mitra said. The details willhelp the cops track down errant drivers.
- Drivers to beslapped a spot fine of Rs 3,000 for refusing passengers – The minister said an errant driver would be arrested if he failed to pay thefine. “Why should an owner face the music for an offence committed by thedriver? The drivers should feel the pinch,” Mr Mitra said. “If a driver refusesfive times in a day, he would be fined on as many occasions.”
- Crackdown orderedon shuttle cabs – “The police should seize shuttle cabs and arrest thedrivers,” said Mr Mitra.
- Driving schools tohave a government representative each – 'The representatives will keep tabs onthe training,” Mr Mitra said.
- Orientation campfor taxi drivers – Kolkata Police has been organizing such camps.