July 29, 2014
Some straight-talking by the West Bengal Education Minister
West Bengal Education Minister Dr ParthaChatterjee on Monday issued an advisory to universities and colleges whileaddressing a gathering of teachers affiliated to West Bengal College UniversityProfessors Association (WBCUPA). This is what he said:
- Former students should not take part incampus agitations and that gheraosshould be avoided.
- If there is any demand of the students,teachers or even staff, only five representatives should go and meet theprincipal or vice-chancellor with their grievance.
- There should be some restraint whiledemonstrating on campus and it should not be violent.
- Former students should rely on the collegeunit of the union. Outsiders should enter the campus only withpermission.
- Institutions should take action againstoffenders intruding their campuses. The government will not interfere,” hesaid, urging teachers to keep a watch on students and their activities.
- Teachers, staff or authorities shouldn'tthreaten students under any circumstances. They should be conscious of theirduties and responsibilities.
- The staff should come on time.
- Infrastructure, quality of study andacademic environment has to be maintained on campus.
- The university and college authoritiesshould restrain from dividing the students' union into various organizations.
- The authorities should only treat them as astudents' union sans any political affiliation. The authorities need to be goodadministrators.