March 19, 2015
WB Govt to formulate new Sports Policy soon
West Bengal Government is going to formulate a new sports policy soon. There was no sports policy for the State before Trinamool came to power.
The new Government laid great stress on sports in the last years by increasing the allocation almost 9 times.
The Budgetary allocations during 2010-11 for sports was only a meagre Rs 29.29 Crore, which has seen substantive increase to Rs 41.86 Crore (2011-12), Rs 72.31(2012-13), Rs 100.69 Crore (2013-14), Rs 142 Crore (2014-15) and now to Rs 180 Crore in 2015-16 Budget.
Some significant initiatives for Sports Department:
- In the last 3 years more than 170 sports personalities have been felicitated. The State has instituted ‘Khel Ratna’ award
- To develop sports and construction of sports infrastructure of the state, Rs 67 Crore has been invested to build up 26 stadia, swimming pools, sports academies and hostels
- Renovation of Saltlake Stadium and installation of new floodlights
- Assistance has been given to more than 14,000 clubs and gymnasiums to buy sports equipment
- Jalpaiguri Sports Complex has been upgraded and 2 phase of Sports Village at Jalpaiguri is under construction
- Special focus has been given to Jangalmahal and backward regions. Jangalmahal Cup has been instituted for tribals. New stadiums at Salboni, Nayagram Academy at Jhargram, Purulia stadium, sports complex at Bankura will be completed by June, 2015
- A new Archery Academy will be made operational in this year 2015-16
- Sanctions have been given to develop at around 200 sports grounds
West Bengal Chief Minister Ms Mamata Banerjee on 17 March, 2015, felicitated 45 sportsperson from Bengal who won medals in the 35th National Games. Gold medallists were given Rs 5 lakh, silver medalists Rs 3 lakh and for bronze medalists Rs 2 lakh.