March 4, 2015
We will fight for our rights: WB CM
West Bengal CM Ms Mamata Banerjee addressed a press conference at Nabanna today. She spoke on the issue of long pending debt stress the State has been in. In the last 3 years, the Centre has deducted more than Rs 1 lakh Crore as interest for loans taken by the previous Government.
She also spoke regarding the situation of potato cultivation in the State.
Highlights of the press conference:
- Our Government came to power after 34 years of CPM rule with the blessings and good wishes of people
- Rs 1.5 lakh Crore has been taken away from our treasury due to sins of previous Government
- How will we work if funds are reduced this way? No one else is facing the problem except us
- Kerala and Punjab have been relieved of their debt burden, but we did not get any such relief
- In the 5 year life of this Government, we have waited for 3 years. Now our patience has run out
- We will now take it upon ourselves to attain what we deserve
- In spite of problems we did not pass the burden on to the people
- No salary or pension was withheld
- State is buying 50,000 MT potatoes, which will be sent for Midday meal Scheme. The state is taking many steps to address the potato crisis
- Subsidy worth Rs 10 Crore will be given to the farmers. The target of potato export is 2 lakh MT this year