March 18, 2015
Education for all: KMC initiative to provide free education makes mark
To provide basic education to the poor children within its jurisdiction without any discrimination of caste, religion or community is the basic principle on which Kolkata Municipal Corporation runs its schools.
This free education does no way mean it is not at par with other paid schools in the city. To keep up with the quality of education and to spread its reach, in February 2015, 24 new schools were inaugurated by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation at Uttam Manch by Sovan Chatterjee, Mayor of Kolkata. The Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) had earlier announced the plan of setting up six Junior schools, eight English medium schools and ten Montessori schools at the Uttam Mancha near Kalighat.
Along with imparting education, KMC also attaches local parks and playgrounds to these schools to encourage the students to take up sports and extracurricular activities.
Highlights of KMC’s initiative in spreading education:
• No. of KMC Schools at present are 263 including three streams i.e. Bengali, Hindi and Urdu (Boys & Girls).
• No. of Bengali Medium Schools are 154
• No. of Hindi Medium Schools are 46
• No. of Urdu Medium Schools are 56
• No. of Mixed (Bengali & Urdu) Medium Schools are 5
• No. of Mixed (Hindi & Urdu) Medium Schools are 2
With the Financial assistance of Govt. of West Bengal, KMC is organizing 102 centres of Child education (S.S.K) between 01 to 141 Ward in different streams.
• Bengali Medium: 72 Centres
• Hindi Medium: 10 Centres
• Urdu Medium: 17 Centres
• Odiya Medium: 01 Centre
The following schemes have been undertaken in KMC Schools for the benefit of KMC School Children and /or the children of the neighbouring areas.
• Annual Sports meet of KMC School Children.
• Participation in State Level Sports on regular basis
• Distribution of national text books amongst the children of KMCP Schools and S.S.K. on free of cost.
• Libraries for students
• Participation in integrated learning project evaluation through Sarva Siksha Abhiyan (S.S.A.).
• Various training programme for development of scientific concepts of the children of KMCP Schools are arranged by Education Department, KMC with the financial assistance of UNICEF.
• Celebration of International Literacy Day on 8th September every year.
• Distribution of School Uniforms.
• Distribution of academic prizes and sport prizes.
• Distribute Mid-day-meal to all students of KMC schools
• Celebration of auspicious days namely Netaji’s Birthday, Republic Day, Rabindra Jayanti, Independence Day etc.
• Participation of School Children in sit & draw programme.
• Participation of school children in educational tour to places of Historical interest.
• Arrangement of school wise exhibition on improvised models.
• Work Education and Physical Education.