March 3, 2015
WB CM felicitates artistes with Shilpi Samman
West Bengal Chief Minister Ms Mamata Banerjee felicitated personalities from the field of Fine Arts with Shilpi Samman at a programme organised by the Information & Cultural Affairs Department, and Paschim Banga Charu Kala Akademi, at Rabindra Sadan.
Paschim Banga Charukala Utsav started on 27 February will continue till 8 March, 2015 showcasing West Bengal’s fine arts. Organised by State’s Information and Cultural Department, the festival will hold exhibitions, fests, discussions and screening of documentaries.
The venues for this festival are Academy of Fine Arts, Gaganendra Prodorshanshala, Rabindra Sadan-Nandan Complex, Sisir Mancha and Abanindra Sabhagriha.
Highlights of the Chief Minister’s speech:
• This festival has been a culmination point of artistes from all generations, young and old
• The sense of art does not only come through studying, it develops within the artiste
• The spontaneous attitude of the artistes is one of their biggest strength
• Our thought and our vision is our third eye, we may call it our creativity
• One can find artistes in every households of Bengal, may it embroidery, earthen models, designing madurs, silk clothing, what not
• The thoughts provoked through fine arts cannot always be portrayed through prints
• There are no alternates to fine arts or artistes.Since there are no alternatives, we must always respect the entity of fine arts
• There are artistes who have not been educated at art colleges, but they do have the entity of an artiste
• Some time, things come spontaneously to some, qualification does not matter
• It is necessary to pay our respects to the artistes, if not now, then when?
• We have talents in literature, music, acting, fine arts, jatra, theater in our households. We need to honour these talents
• I will ask the KMC to set up a studio for the artistes in future days
• We have renovated the Technician’s Studio, we are setting up a Film City, we have set up academies for Jatra and Theater and others.
• We will try to glorify the field of fine arts, we need time for planning
• We have set up different projects like the Eco Tourism Park and others at record pace
• We are working on an Ekushe February Memorial
• We want to cross borders and honour international personalities from the fine arts arena in future days. Our concept is Bishwa Bangla