March 4, 2015
Kolkata soon to become free from open garbage vats: WB CM
West Bengal Chief Minister Ms Mamata Banerjee said that very soon, the Kolkata will be free of open garbage vats. She said that KMC has set up 49 compactors around the city to keep it clean from open garbage. Th e city is being cleaned three times a day with the 100 Days Work Scheme being utilized to do so.
The Chief Minister today inaugurated the Jai Hind Community Hall at Harish Mukherjee Road-Kalighat Road Crossing in Bhowanipore, set up by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation.
Highlights of the Chief Minister’s speech:
- Small ideas can lead to bigger implementations
- We have started the practice of songs being played at traffic signals
- When we came in power in KMC, we took the initiative to set up decorative street lights
- We have beautified other district towns with the same decorative street lights
- KMC initiated setting up proper bus stands, pay and use toilets in different parts of the city
- I had the idea of decorating Kolkata with blue and white after I visited the Pink City – Jaipur
- The Community hall will be of help to people of this ward. I will ask the KMC to set up such halls in other wards too
- The Basanta Utsav starts today. We have announced holiday on both Dol and Holi
The Chief Minister wished best to all for a happy and peaceful Basanta Utsav