November 2, 2018
Trinamool hits the streets to protest against killing of Bengalis in Assam
Five persons were shot dead in Assam’s Bishnoimukh village in Assam. The attack occurred near Dhola-Sadiya bridge in Tinsukia district around 7 PM on Thursday.
After condemning the attack, Bangla Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee questioned if the killings were in retaliation to the National Register of Citizens in the state. Over 40 lakh people face deportation from India as their names were excluded in the final draft of the list published on July 30.
“Terrible news coming out of Assam. We strongly condemn the brutal attack in Tinsukia and the killing of Shyamlal Biswas, Ananta Biswas, Abhinash Biswas, Subodh Das. Is this the outcome of recent NRC development,” Mamata Banerjee said in a statement on Twitter.
“We have no words to express our deep sorrow to the grieving families. The perpetrators must be punished at the very earliest. The fifth victim in Tinsukia … Dhananjay Namashudra,” she added.
All India Trinamool Congress held protest marches across Bangla today to condemn these dastardly murders. A protest march was led by Abhishek Banerjee – MP and National President of Trinamool Youth Congress – from Jadavpur to Hazra.
Highlights of Abhishek Banerjee’s speech:
- Yesterday we received the news of the brutal murder of 5 Bengalis in Tinsukia (Assam) at 10:30 PM. We had witnessed mass murders in the CPI(M) era. This incident is a stark reminder of those incidents.
- We were instructed by our leader Mamata Banerjee last night itself from north Bengal at late night. Our workers received the news in the morning. We are thankful to all for this stupendous response in this short span of time.
- When Afrazul was hacked to death in Rajasthan, Mamata Banerjee had instructed us to organise protests. We have hit the streets again today.
- This is not a fight between Trinamool and BJP. This is not CPI(M) vs Trinamool. This is a fight to preserve the Bengali culture. This is fight for the right of Bengalis. This fight is against BJP’s politics of oppression and forcible occupation. We will work as per the directions given by Mamata Banerjee.
- In the 80’s and 90’s, we had seen how CPI(M) used to kill farmers and then sermonise about their welfare. Now we are seeing so-called pro-Hindu BJP killing Hindus. ‘Hindu mere Hindu prem, BJP shame shame.”
- During Left rule, they used to raise the slogan ‘Inquilab Zindabad’ but discriminated among people based on political leanings. And now, BJP only says ‘Jai Shree Ram’ while fuel prices are skyrocketing.
- The budget for Beti Bachao Beti Padhao is a meagre Rs 200 crore. And they built a statue worth Rs 3000 crore. On the other hand, they are killing Bengalis in Assam.
- Many people from other States live in Bengal in peace. They have never been discriminated against. This is the culture of Bengal.
- Today, many of my minority friends finished their namaz and joined these protests against the brutal murder of ‘Hindus’ in Assam. This is culture of harmony in Bengal.
- Yesterday we heard reports that ULFA was involved in the incident. Today they have given a statement that they have nothing to do with the incident. Who were those people in police uniform, who murdered those five innocent people?
- There must be a free and fair probe into this incident. The investigation must be monitored by the Supreme Court.
- The Chief Minister of Assam must resign. Why are Bengalis committing suicide in Assam? Why was a famous singer attacked for singing a Bengali song in Guwahati?
- Mamata Banerjee has categorically said NRC will not be implemented in Bengal.
- Mamata Banerjee inaugurated at least 100 Durga Pujas in Kolkata. Have you seen any single flex by BJP during Sharadotsav? No. Because they believe in north Indian culture, not Bengali culture.
- More than 100 people died in the queues during demonetisation. Farmers were killed in police firing in Madhya Pradesh. More than 80 children died due to lack of oxygen at a hospital in UP. This is the example of governance by BJP.
- They are bringing leaders from other States. They have no idea about Bengali culture and dream of ‘capturing Bengal’.
- We believe in politics of courtesy. But if they try to disrupt peace in Bengal, we will not tolerate it.
- Let them compete on the basis of facts and figures. Let us compare the progress made by Bengal versus that of Centre.
- In the coming days, our slogan should be ‘Du hajar unish, BJP finish. BJP hatao, desh bachao’.