December 16, 2014
WB CM spreads the message of peace at the inauguration of Kolkata Christmas Festival
West Bengal Chief Minister Ms Mamata Banerjee today inaugurated the 4th Kolkata Christmas Festival at Allen Park, Park Street. Kolkata will be celebrating the Christmas Festival through music, carols, light and sound exhibitions and the food at a street fest in Park Street.
Christmas in Kolkata can never be complete without an illuminated Park Street and the crowd soaking into the festive season. There will be various cultural events from 18th December onwards in the evening.
The inauguration ceremony started today 5 PM with the Chief Minister ceremonially switching on the festive lights. The welcome address was delivered by Archbishop Rev. Thomas D’Souza. The Chief Minister addressed the enthusiastic crowd.
Among the other distinguished guests present were Rev. Father Felix Raj, Principal of St. Xavier’s College, Bratya Basu, Minister of Tourism, Shashi Panja, Minister of State (Independent) of Child Welfare and Woman Development and Commissioner of Police, Surajit Kar Purakayastha.
Highlights of the Chief Minister’s speech:
- We are all saddened and shattered. The attack on innocent children in Peshawar is a big tragedy.
- Christmas is celebrated across the world. But only Kolkata has an emotional connect.
- We celebrate all festivals with equal vigour, be it Durga Puja or Christmas.
- Christmas brings with it the message of peace. Christmas is a universal festival.
- Christmas is incomplete with the decorative lights in Park Street. It will be lit up from 18th December. Food stalls will also be set up.
- Kolkata Christmas Festival will continue till 2nd January. Enjoy the festive season.
- Enjoy the festive season. Follow the message of peace spread by Jesus Christ. Follow the spirit of humanism.
- Let love be the universal religion. I pray for global peace.