Latest News

March 10, 2019

Bangla Govt gives nod to Rs 3,000 crore Kulpi Port project

Bangla Govt gives nod to Rs 3,000 crore Kulpi Port project

The Bangla government is all set to revive the Kulpi Port project at an estimated cost of Rs 3,000 crore that is tipped to generate a minimum of 10,000 jobs.

The proposal to revive the Kulpi Port was cleared during the Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on March 7. The Bangla government had received the proposal of investment during the Bengal Global Business Summit (BGBS) this year.

“Kulpi, a riverine port, would see a minimum investment of Rs 3,000 crore. The figure may go up to even Rs 4,000-Rs 5,000 crore in the process. We are happy to inform you that at least 10,000 jobs would be created once the ancillary industries would come up centered around the port,” state Finance and industry minister Dr Amit Mitra said at Nabanna.

He also clarified that there will be no acquisition of lands and the proposal of an SEZ status had already been denied by the government. There will be a huge number of indirect employment at the port, Dr Mitra added.

Dubai based DP World will have 74 percent stake in Kulpi Port while the Bengal government will own the remaining 26 percent. The Bengal government also has a stake in an associated project where an industrial park is expected to come up around the port area.


Representative Image