December 3, 2015
Surge of development in Birbhum district; Sabuj Sathi scheme flagged off
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, on a visit to Birbhum district today, flagged off the Sabuj Sathi scheme for the district.
She addressed a public meeting at Suri, where she inaugurated and laid the foundation stones for a bouquet of projects.
The projects WB CM inaugurated today include road projects, several health care projects, new police barracks, entertainment centres, hostels for boys and girls, solar-powered pumps for irrigation and agriculture.
The West Bengal Chief Minister laid the foundation stones for road and irrigation projects, water supply projects, Karma Tirtha, minority hostels, Jal Tirtha among other things.
The CM also distributed several services including Kanyashree, Yuvashree, Sikshashree, equipment to fishermen, Kisan and artisan credit cards, different agricultural machineries and equipment, pattas, financial assistance for natural disasters and a host of other such services.
Highlights of her speech:
- The land of Birbhum is famous all over the world for Santiniketan and Bauls.
- Birbhum is known for its cultural, educational heritage. Birbhum’s soil makes us proud. We are proud of the ‘ranga mati’.
- We have inaugurated and laid the foundation stones for projects worth Rs 1000 Cr today. 65000 students got Sikshasree scholarship.
- 95000 of students will get bicycles under Sabuj Sathi scheme in this district. Total 40 lakh students will get cycles across Bengal.
- By January, 25 lakh students will receive cycles under Sabuj Sathi scheme.
- Students and youths are the future of the country. They will take the society forward. Sabuj Sathi logo represents their spirit.
- I have full faith in my students and youth. They will conquer the world and make Bengal proud.
- I will visit Birbhum during Jaydeb Mela. Last time I came here I took initiative for development of Tarapith.
- The gateway coming up at Tarapith is beautiful. It will be a pride for us.
- Patharchapuri in this district can become a big tourist attraction.
- Work for setting up ITIs are complete at 3 places in Birbhum district. Work for 3 more is going on.
- Andal airport has been inaugurated. Flights to Delhi will begin.We have started helicopter services from Kolkata to Bolpur.
- I have been invited to be a part of Kolkata-Delhi flight via Andal. I will come to Andal on 7 Dec again.
- We have requested Bhutan Airlines to start flight halts at Andal.
- New fleet of buses have been given to Birbhum district. We have started Gatidhara scheme for the transport sector.
- We are setting up 41 new multi super speciality hospitals. 3 of those will come up in this district.
- Rampurhat is becoming a health district. A medical college is coming up there.
- Healthcare at govt hospitals is now free. We have started fair price medicine shops in Bengal which give 60-70% discounts.
- We have started fair price diagnostic centres which will benefit the poor people.
- 13 Krishak Bazaars have been set up in Birbhum district.
- Farmers can directly sell their produce at Krishak Bazaars. 176 Krishak Bazaars are coming up across Bengal.
- We are setting up Mati Tirtha at Bardhaman. Mati is our mother. Mati is our source of inspiration.
- Few months ago, Bengal was ravaged by floods. Birbhum district was also affected.
- We have give compensation to flood-affected people despite no help from the Centre.
- We had requested the Centre for farm loan waiver. We applied for Rs 6000 Cr as flood relief. We did not get a penny.
- CPM incurred huge debts when they were in power. Then Congress govt at Centre did not stop them.
- After we came to power, Centre has been taking away our revenue for paying off debt incurred by CPM.
- We have increased our revenues from Rs 20000 Cr to Rs 40000 Cr. The development we have carried out despite debt is exemplary.
- Did the CPM give fair price for paddy procurement? Did potato farmers get fair price for their produce under them?
- Out of 9 crore people in Bengal, 3.2 crore people are getting rice at Rs 2/kg. Additional 3 crore people will get rice @ Rs 3/kg.
- The biggest coal industry of India is coming up at Deocha Pachami cwhere more than one lakh people will get jobs.
- A Biswa Khudro Bazaar is coming up at Bolpur.
- A township is coming up in Bolpur, named Gitabitan, on 100 acres of land.
- Centre has stopped funding Asha and ICDS schemes. Yet we are funding them despite out financial problems.
- We have started a pension scheme and accident insurance for kendu leaf collectors.
- 84 lakh students from minority communities have received scholarships.
- We have taken up “Sobar Ghore Bidyut” programme. Every household will receive power supply soon.
- Beautification and renovation has been taken up at several tourist spots in Birbhum district.
- We have registered 28 lakh girls under Kanyashree scheme. I will keep working for people. That is my responsibility.
- Let us keep politics aside. Let us compete for development. Bengal is surging ahead. We are becoming free from shackles of 34 years.
- Since independence only 30 colleges were set up in Bengal till 2011. After we came to power, 45 colleges were set up.
- Do you know today is the birth anniversary of Khudiram Bose? I dedicate this day to his memory.
- We must be proud of Matangini Hazra, Binoy, Badal, Dinesh, Deshbandhu Chittaranjan, Pritilata Waddedar.
- We must be proud of Rabindranath, Nazrul, Vivekananda, Ambedkar.
- India’s National Anthem and National Song were written by Rabindranath and Bankim.
- “Nana Bhasha, Nana mat, Nana Paridhan Bibidher Majhe Dekho Milan Mahaan” should be our motto.