December 14, 2015
Icons of music world honoured at Bangla Sangeet Mela inauguration
West Bengal Chief Minister Ms Mamata Banerjee today inaugurated Bangla Sangeet Mela 2015-16 at Nazrul Mancha.
Like every year, the Chief Minister felicitated a galaxy of stars from the music world with Sangeet Samman for their contribution to the field. Apart from mainstream artists, folk artists were honoured too.
A special category of awards was created named after the iconic artists who defined the golden era of music, like Pulak Bandyopadhyay, Hemanta Mukhopdhyay, Salil Chowdhury, SD Barman, Pratima Bandyopadhyay, RD Barman, Firoza Begum and others. Some of the recipients under this category were Samir Khasnabis, Rupam Islam, Dillep Roy, Dilip Das, Subhomita, Aneek Dhar and Kartik Das Baul, Subhankar Banerjee, Suparno Kanti Ghosh, Rajib Banerjee.
Bishesh Sangeet Samman was awarded to Dwijen Mukhyopadhyay, Ajoy Chakraborty and Sandhya Mukherjee. Apart from them, Shantanu Moitra was honoured with Maha Sangeet Samman along with Mohammad Aziz, Kumar Bose, Shibaji Chattopadhyay, Sriradha Bandyopadhyay, Dileep Kumar Bose and fakir Alamgir. Nachiketa was given special Sangeet Samman.
Highlights of WB CM’s speech:
- We are giving opportunities to new talent so that people may know about their art.
- We have felicitated loksangeet and folk artists also. We consider ourselves proud.
- Sangeet Mela 2015 will be held for the next 10 days over a range of venues where 5000 artists will participate.
- My Adivasi brothers from Jangalmahal are here with dhamsa-madol. We also have our baul brothers and sisters.
- Artists are very close to our heart. I always listen to music. Specially when I am travelling. Music brings a breath of fresh air in our lives.
- Bengal is a land of immense talent. But our artists were ignored in the past.
- In the last four years we have registered thousands of folk artists who will get monthly stipend and perform at govt functions.
- Artists are our assets. One day Bengal’s culture will win over the world.
- From 23 December, we will have Lok Sanskriti Utsav. On 23 December, we will have a beautiful cultural function on a ‘vajra’ at Lal Dighi in BBD Bag.
- We are proud for being able to give a platform to our artists. One day Bengal will become the best.
About Bangla Sangeet Mela 2015
The festival, which launches various artistes and gives chance to new talent, will be held from December 15-21, 2015 at various auditoriums and open-air grounds in different parts of the city.
Performances will be held at Rabindra Sadan, Shishir Mancha, Fanibhushan Vidya Binod Jatra Mancha, Rabindra-Okakura Bhavan, Deshapriya Park, Rabindra Sadan Mukta Mancha, Madhusudan Mukta Mancha, Mohor Kunjo, Hedua Park and Princep Memorial.
Exhibitions on Lalon Fakir, Abbasuddin and Rajanikanta Sen will be on display at Gaganendra Shilpa Pradarshanshala from December 15-21, 2015.
The closing ceremony, an all-night event, will be held at Rabindra Sadan on December 21.