May 13, 2019
Centre is neglecting Bangla: Mamata Banerjee at Namkhana
Trinamool Chairperson Mamata Banerjee today addressed a public meeting at Namkhana in South 24 Parganas district. It falls under Mathurapur Lok Sabha constituency.
She said that the central government was neglecting and depriving Bangla. She cited the instance of the concrete bridge on Muriganga river, which despite promise, the Centre has not constructed till now.
Highlights of her speech:
- I come regularly for Gangasagar Mela. There is a saying ‘Sab tirtha barbar, Gangasagar ekbar’. In the past, Gangasagar was languishing behind other areas in terms of development. We have transformed the island. This is our gift for the people
- This day is significant for Bangla. On this day in 2011, the Left Front Government was voted out of power. 34 years of misrule, violence came to an end. Maa-Mati-Manush ushered in the change. I convey my greetings to the people
- We have set up cyclone shelters, renovated the embankments so that people do not have to live through the horrors of Aila again
- We are planning to create two new districts – Sundarbans and Basirhat – so that people do not have to go to far away places for administrative work. We have also constructed a bridge on Hatania-Doania river, which will reduce travel time for people
- We asked the Centre to set up Bhor Sagar and Dheu Sagar ports. They have not taken any initiative so far. Centre wanted 74% stake in Tajpur port. We said we are ready to do, on condition that they construct a concrete bridge on Muriganga. They have not done anything. We have decided to construct this bridge with our own funds
- We are carrying out dredging work on Muriganga at an expense of Rs 100 crore
- The ‘Sundarini’ self-help group in Sundarbans is producing a lot of products like honey, which we are marketing
- We have issued identity cards to fishermen, introduced pension for them. We provide them fishing equipment. We are providing all cooperation to fishermen. We want to increase exports
- We have introduced the Krishak Bandhu scheme, under which farmers will get Rs 5,000 per acre of land annually. If any farmer, 18-60 years old, dies, their families will receive Rs 2 lakh
- The Centre does not pay a penny for the crop insurance scheme, but beats its own drums by sending letters with Modi’s photo. Our Government pays the entire premium of the insurance scheme. Our Government is always with the farmers
- We have created Swasthya Sathi smart cards. Nearly 7.5 crore people of Bangla will be entitled to health insurance with a cover upto Rs 5 lakh annually. This card will be issued in the name of women, recognising them as guardians of the family
- Narendra Modi carried out demonetisation which destroyed jobs. Farmers committed suicide. For the sake of the youth who lost their jobs, we decided to provide them skill training, and employment opportunities thereafter.
- Unemployment has at a 45-year high under Modi. We have reduced unemployment by 40% in Bangla
- We are encouraging home-stay tourism. It will boost local economy. We are distributing chicken and goat to rural women for rearing. This will also empower women.
- BJP has only one work – orchestrating riots. They only create divisions among people
- One retired official of the home ministry, whose wife is a BJP candidate in Malda, is deploying central forces in Bangla. They are campaigning on behalf of BJP. Law and order is under the jurisdiction of the State Government. CRPF should not be afraid of the BJP. They should perform their duties as per the Constitution
- Do not vote for the Left or Congress. Voting for them will only strengthen the BJP
- In the name of ‘achhe din’, they increased prices of cooking gas, fuel. They committed atrocities against Dalits, Adivasis, journalists and common people
- Earlier he was a chaiwallah, and now he pretends to be a chowkidar. But people are saying ‘chowkidar chor hain’
- Social media has both pros and cons. Embrace the positive and reject the negative. Do not let social media become ‘fake’-book.