May 1, 2019
Bangla empowering workers and their families
Over the years, the Trinamool Congress Government has done much to improve the condition of workers in the State. On International Workers’ Day today, we share with you the some of the major achievements of the Labour Welfare Department.
Achievements of the Labour Welfare Department:
- Five different social security schemes for unorganised labour combined into a single comprehensive scheme named Samajik Suraksha Yojana, effective from April 1, 2017
- Till October 2018, 1.01 crore workers covered under the Samajik Mukti Card Scheme. Rs 1,274.29 crore disbursed as benefit to workers
- A special benefit, first of its kind in the country, introduced for completion of undergraduate education or equivalent skill development for female children of workers, with the benefit valid only on remaining unmarried, to serve the twin goals of higher education and preventing early marriage
- Medical benefits enhanced from Rs 10,000 per year to Rs 20,000 per year and medical benefits for surgery made uniform for all unorganised workers, which is Rs 60,000 per year
- In addition to the above, payment of Puja or Eid ex gratia to the Samajik Suraksha Yojana beneficiaries made by the State Government at the rate of Rs 1,500 per year
- In financial year 2018-19, 13,271 beneficiaries received Rs 18.35 crore up to October 2018.
- Under the Yuvashree Scheme, the State Government has disbursed financial assistance of Rs 1,500 per month to 1 lakh job-seekers enrolled in the State Employment Bank.