March 24, 2014
1000 days at a glance: Achievements in Industry and Commerce
For decades the industrial infrastructure in West Bengal had been destroyed under Left regime. Companies shut their units in the State and shifted elsewhere. In the last two and a half years, thanks to the visionary policies of Ms. Mamata Banerjee, there has been a surge of industrialisation in Bengal. Comprehensive policies, incentives and pro-people measures has opened the doors of the State to investors. From Bengal Leads summit to Bengal Beckons in Mumbai, captains of business houses are again showing their interest in the State. Here are the achievements of West Bengal Government in the field of Industry and Commerce:
Role of Core Committee in the Growth of Industries: Core Committee has been re-constituted comprising representatives of the Chambers of Commerce and the Hon`ble Chief Minister as its Chairperson. The main objective of this Committee is to implement industrial projects and immediately solve problems relating to industry.
Single-Window Shilpa Sathi: Task Force comprising various departments which concern industrial growth has been constituted in Shilpa Sathi under Industrial Development Corporation. This Task Force will assist in connection with according approval required for quick setting up of industries.
Best ever Industrial policy & interesting incentives: New Industrial Investment policy proposal performance-based & incentive-driven. Since May, 2011, Rs. 528.22 crore has already been paid as incentive.
Investment proposal & implementation: Department of Commerce & Industry has got investment proposals from different companies including Steel Authority of India Ltd, Matrix Fertilizers & Chemicals, Great Eastern Energy, Ultratech Cement, Reliance Cement, Emami Cement, ACC, BAPL, ESSAR to the line of over Rs. 1,40,000 crore, out of it works are in progress on the investment proposal of Rs. 78,000 crore.
Transparency in distribution of lands for industries:
- 39 lands (1,829.68 acres) have been distributed by Industrial Development Corporation.
- 15 modules (1,78,853 sq.ft.) have been distributed by Industrial Development Corporation.
- Proposed investment is Rs. 17,744.8 crore & proposed employment 47,650.
- In the year 2012-13, Rs. 10.49 crore subsistence allowance has been dispensed to landless families of Singur.
14 Y Clearance: According to 14Y clause of WBLR Act, clearance has already been provided to 14 projects, and 13 more projects will get recommendation soon, as a result the proposed investment will be Rs. 67000 crore. State govt. has launched an attractive incentive scheme, through which more industrial promotion assistance will be provided in a specified time frame.
Remarkable strides made by big industries in the state: Upcoming big projects are: BAPL, Matrix Fertilizers and Chemical Ltd., South Asia Rubber and Polymers Ltd., Bengal Shipyard, Great Eastern Energy Corporation Ltd., Ultratech Cement Ltd., ACC Ltd., Patton International.
Present and upcoming industrial parks:
- Plasto Steel Park, Barjora; Panagarh Industrials Park, Panagarh; Vidyasagar Industrials Park, Khargpur; Food Park, Sankrail; Garment Park, Beleghata; Shilpangan- light engineering park, Salt Lake.
- New Industrial Park Proposed by West Bengal Industrial Development Corporation will be situated at Goaltor, Haldia, Budgebudge and Ankurhati.
- Booking for site/plot is going on for Food park, Phase III at Sankrail, Howrah and Gems and Jewellary Park at Ankurhati.
- A rubber park is being established on a 95 acre site at Domjur, Howrah. The proposed investment for the park is Rs. 1500 crore and proposed employment is 10000.
- Foundry Park is being established on a 924 acre site at Ranihati, Howrah. The proposed investment for the park is Rs. 2500 crore and proposed employment is 30000.
- In order to implement project of Chemical Park at Howrah, the West Bengal Industrial Development Corporation has proposed for special purpose vehicle.
- The Growth Centre for the West Bengal Industrial infrastructure Development Corporation is operational in Coochbehar, Raninagar, Dabgram, Malda- I & II, Bishnupur, Kalyani I , II & III, Kharagpur, Uluberia, Haldia and Falta I & II.
- West Bengal Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation has proposed for new industrial park at Guptamoni, Haringhata (Nadia), Falta and Coochbehar.
West Bengal Mineral Development & Marketing Corporation: WBMTDC has been able to enhance production of Black Stone Mining Project at Trans-Damodar Coal Mine Project in Barjora, Bankura at Panchami and Hathgacha-Jethia in Birbhum and at Palsara in Purulia.
Creating infrastructure for enhancing international business: Providing more than Rs. 50 crore in various projects such as Land Customs Station, Tissue culture project at Phulbari and Hili in Dakshin Dinajpur. Land Customs Station has been working at Phulbari at India-Bangladesh border since 2012-13.
Enhancement of effort: Development programmes have been organized through participating in various programmes like Bengal Leads, India International Trade fair, Pragati Utsav, Mati Utsav etc.