March 23, 2014
1000 days at a glance: Achievements in agriculture and agricultural marketing
Trinamool Congress is committed to common people and has a policy that maintains a balance between industry and agriculture. In the last 1000 days of Trinamool Congress led Ma, Mati, Manush Government, agriculture has seen a huge boost and growth. Here are some of the major achievements in the sector:
- Unprecedented success in the production of cereals: The production of cereals has increased from148 lakh in 2010-11 tons to reach 173 lakh tons in 2013-14. This increase in production despite the thrust on augmenting the production of less-productive fine rice is specially noteworthy.
- `Krishi Karman` award given by Govt of India: Award given by Govt. of India for unprecedented success in the production of pulses in 2011-12 & cereals in 2012-13.
- Consequent upon these measures the price for coarse paddy (swarna masuri) which was Rs 850-900 (per quintal) during 2011 has now increased to Rs 1450-1500 (per quintal).
- Reducing dependance on chemical fertilisers: Across the state, 34,492 of vermicompost production centres has been set-up to augment the production of such compost as organic fertiliser.
- To ensure adequate profits to farmers in the production of rice: Initiatives to increase the export of coarse rice. Increase in the production of Fine rice. Gobindobhog (khas), purification of seeds of tulaipanji, distribution & increase in the area of production.
- Field Exhibitions to increase agricultural output & productive capacity: Training in mordern technology with high quality seeds, fertilisers and other agricultural implements in agricultural exhibitionary fields of 4,66,038 hectares.
- Economic development of farmers in the blocks of `Jangalmahal`: Inspiration to start the farming of multi-purpose crops in 4260 hectares of exhibitionary fields of hybrid-corn, peanut & pulses through training in modern farming in Purulia, Bankura and Paschim Medinipur districts.
- Dissemination of meteorological data in advance to the farmers: The works of setting up of 145 automatic agro-meteorological centres across the state have been started. The construction works of 47 automatic meteorological centres have already been completed.'
- Unthinkable development of agro-mechanisation: Providing tractor power tillers, power reapers, pump sets to 67,186 of farmers at govt. subsidised price and direct transfer of govt. subsidy to the farmers` account of purchasing small agricultural implements for the first time.
- Arrangement of loans for the farmers at low rate of interest: More than 24 lakh farmers have been awarded with the benefit of Kisan Credit Card.
- Recognition of farmers` contribution: `Krisak Ratna` award in each block and `Krisak Samman` award at district level are being given.
- Pisciculture in govt. agri-farms: Increase in supply of fishes in the local markets has been ensured and pisciculture in 324 of waterbodies of govt. agri farms of the state has been started for the sake of scientific piscicultural training.
- Long term preservation of crops: One time financial grants are being given to the small and marginal farmers under `Aamar Phasal and Aamar Gola` scheme.
- Aamar phasal Aamar Gari: Financial grants are being given for purchasing polycrate and van-cycle or pull-cart for carrying the produced crops to the market.
- Agricultural education: With the objective of promotion of agri-education development in agricultural sector, new campuses of State Agricultural University have been opened in Burdwan and Bankura districts. Admission of students and classes will start from 2014-15. Besides, an agricultural college will be opened very soon at Tapan, Dakshin Dinajpur.
- State Seed Laboratory: These laboratories have been opened at Krishnanagar and Bankura.
- `Matir katha`, a project: To promote modern scientific education on agriculture, `Matir katha`, a unique initiative, has been stated by Dept. of Agriculture, Govt of West Bengal. This project aims at disseminating information on agriculture, new government programmes, VDOs relating to agri-extension, educational documentary films etc. to the doorsteps of farmers with the help of modern technology and objective of agri-extention and rural development.
- Crop insurance: 15 horticultural crops have been included in the purview of crop-insurance.
- Onion- farming: For the first time ever in Bengal, initiative has been taken for kharif onion-farming.