September 18, 2014
West Bengal Education Minister speaks
- I have been monitoring the situation atJadavpur University.
- We have received a CD from a Bengali news channelwith uncensored footage from Jadavpur University.
- The video footage we received clearly showsthere was no lathicharge at Jadavpur University.
- We firmly believe that students should notbe involved in anarchy on campus.
- Students may have demands. They must putthem across in a peaceful manner.
- The student agitators used unparliamentarylanguage for some female faculty members.
- I asked the VC of Jadavpur University tosubmit a report. Police went to JU campus at the written request of the VC.
- I have informed the Honourable Governor(who is the Chancellor of the University) about the incident.
- JU is renowned globally. We must ensure theglory of the institute remains intact.
- We all want fast probe and justice of thevictim. These agitations are impeding the process.
- In the past a VC has been killed on campus.Police action is the last recourse to maintain law and order.
- Educational institutes should focus onacademics.