January 14, 2015
We must preserve the cultural heritage of Bengal: WB CM
West Bengal Chief Minister inaugurated a slew of projects at Nimtala Ghat crematorium, which included electric chullis and two environment-friendly wooden chullis. She also inaugurated the renovated memorial for Rabindranath Tagore at Nimtala Ghat and a memorial for Shri Ramakrishna Paramhansa at Kashipur Ghat.
Highlights of her speech on the occasion:
- Several years passed since independence. No one ever thought of renovating the place where last rites of Ramakrishna was held.
- We took over Roy Villa in the Hills where she breathed her last. We handed over to the Ramakrishna Mission. It is a heritage.
- We will not allow any insult to the culture of Bengal. We will maintain the heritage.
- We asked Rabindra Bharati University to set up another campus so that we could renovate Jorasanko museum.
- Kazi Nazrul Islam was ignored in West Bengal. He was an iconic poet. We named a university after him.
- We set up Nazrul Tirtha, Rabindra Tirtha. We are setting up a Centre of Excellence named after Swami Vivekananda.
- We are building Dhano Dhanye stadium, named after the patriotic song penned by Dwijendralal Roy.
- Religion does not teach discrimination. Sadbhavana means Sarva Dharma Samannyay.
- We have built a new temple of Kapil Muni at Gangasagar. We are building a big Gateway to Gangasagar. The priest at Kapil Muni Ashram said the gateway will be called Sarva Dharma Sambhava.
- No matter how much you abuse me, I will keep working for the people.
- It is our duty to preserve the spot where Rabindranath Tagore was cremated.
- There were only 4 electric chullis in Nimtala Ghat. Now there are 12.
- Today is a holy day. People will take holy dip at Gangasagar from tonight. Lakhs of pilgrims come here for the occasion.
- We have made arrangements for the pilgrims visiting Gangasagar. We withdrew tax that they had to pay for visiting Gangasagar.
- Bengal is the only State where we have not levied water tax.
- CREDAI has given Rs 2.5 crore for development work under CSR. I thank them for the support.
- We beautified Ganga ghats. We beautified Millennium Park. Like London, Kolkata Eye is coming up soon.
- We will develop Nimtala Ghat like other ghats in Kolkata.
- Ramakrishna Mission, Bharat Sevasram Sangha work for all. We believe in harmony of all religions.
- United we stand, divided we fall. We respect all religions. Ramakrishna Paramhansa said Joto mot, toto poth. We must follow his ideals.