January 13, 2015
Gangasagar Mela – WB Govt takes measures for benefit of pilgrims
The Gangasagar Mela, held on Sagar Island, is the biggest religious fair in West Bengal. Ms Mamata Banerjee, Chief Minister of West Bengal, to promote tourism, had undertaken a boat ride to Sagar Island with top industrialists last October.
The Government has laid emphasis on electrification, drainage, sewerage, water purification, sewerage treatment, night shelters, roads (construction of a ring road) and general beautification. For this purpose, the Gangasagar Development Authority has been set up.
Government has also made several arrangements for the annual Gangasagar Mela:
- Various arrangements of temporary nature for adequate accommodation, offices, water supply, sanitation
- Temporary hospitals along with outdoor dispensary at Sagar island along with emergency helicopter services
- Safe and adequate drinking water services are being provided
- Temporary sanitary (mobile toilets) and waste water disposal arrangements
- Arrangements for fire-fighting, including setting up facilities at Kolkata’s Outram Ghat, Kachuberia, Chemaguri/Benuban and Sagar Mela ground
- Arrangements for bathing ghats (including changing rooms) at Sagar Island
- Arrangement of temporary banking facility at Sagar Mela ground
- Police outposts at Sagar Mela ground
- Solid waste collection by automatic disposal vehicle
- As a special initiative, the Chief Minister has waived pilgrims’ tax
West Bengal Tourism is also promoting Gangasagar and its surrounding islands in a big way. For details log on to the website.