January 20, 2015
Surge of development in Bengal will continue: WB CM at Uttarbanga Utsav
West Bengal Chief Minister Ms Mamata Banerjee inaugurated the 4th edition of the Uttarbanga Utsav at Kanchenjunga Stadium in Siliguri today. The festival, continuing till January 20, will be held simultaneously in the seven North Bengal districts – Coochbehar, Jalpaiguri, Darjeeling, Uttar Dinajpur, Dakshin Dinjapur, Malda and Alipurduar.
On the inaugural day Banga Ratna Samman was awarded to eminent personalities by the Chief Minister.
Places where the Utsab will take place in the seven districts :
- Darjeeling – Siliguri, Bagdogra
- Coochbehar – Dinhata, Haldibari, Mathabhanga
- Jalpaiguri – Jalpaiguri, Gayerkata, Moinaguri, Kranti, Rajganj
- Uttar Dinajpur- Raiganj, Islampur
- Dakshin Dinjapur – Balurghat, Gangarampur
- Malda – Englishbazar, Gajole, Manikchawk
- Alipurduar- Falakata, Kalchini
The seven day long festival focuses on film, theater, classical and modern music, sports, dance forms and other such activities.
Highlights of the Chief Minister’s speech:
- A lot of development is happening in North Bengal.
- We have set up a branch Secretariat in north Bengal. People do not need to go to Kolkata anymore.
- We have set up schools and colleges for north Bengal. Institutes like St Xavier’s College have set up branches here.
- I have come to North Bengal multiple times. We treat North and South Bengal equally.
- I have come of North Bengal for more than 60-70 times.
- From Kanyashree to Yuvashree to grants and aid to farmers like power tillers and tractors – we are helping everyone.
- Few media houses are continuously spreading negativity. They are spreading lies.
- I request you not to spread lies and negativity about Bengal. Please do not insult Bangla Ma.
- CPM incurred debts. We are repaying them. Centre is taking away major part of our revenue.
- We want ration, not bhashan.
- Centre is not giving us funds for JNNURM, food procurement, 100 Days’ Work. These funds are our right.
- Centre does not do us a favour by giving funds. They take our revenue.
- We will organise Maati Utsav on 28 January.
- Just like I did Global Business Summit, I also care for farmers. I will interact with them at Maati Utsav.
- We are providing assistance to clubs for sports infrastructure development.
- Several industries are coming up in north Bengal. The surge of development will continue.
- Bengal will progress despite all the negativity and propaganda. Do not create hurdles for development by calling bandhs.
- 10 lakh youths will get skill development training.
- We could have created many more job opportunities had the CPM not destroyed the infrastructure for 35 years.
- I will keep working for Maa, Mati, Manush of Bengal. From here I will go to Darjeeling.