January 5, 2015
Trinamool condemns the politics of hate and violence
Subrata Mukherjee, Derek O’Brien and Partha Chatterjee addressed a press conference at Trinamool Bhavan. Here is what they said:
Statement by Subrata Mukherjee
- We condemn this incident which is tarnishing the political atmosphere.
- Official investigation will be done.
- The Opposition is indulging in suicidal political acts.
- We will fight them politically, we are a secular party.
- We want unbiased investigation and the public to know everything.
- Communal politics have started across India after the change of regime at Centre. We will counter them politically.
- West Bengal had no precedent of this kind of activities. This is highly condemnable.
- Mamata Banerjee has a long history of struggle. Her party cannot be defeated with incidents like this.
- We ask our party workers not to retaliate in the same way like the fanatic person. We have to fight politically.
- We ask all the people of Bengal to be united in this fight against politics of hate and violence. We are a secular party.
- We have seen news reports that the perpetrator of yesterday’s incident was a religious fanatic.
Statement by Partha Chatterjee
- We will protest against this act without causing disruption on rail and road.
- People from across all districts in Bengal are protesting against yesterday’s incident.
- There will be protest rallies against the cowardly attack on Abhishek Banerjee without disrupting public life.
Statement by Derek O’Brien
- It was not only a disgrace to politics but also a disgrace to the nation because a young man in his early innings of his political career someone tried to stop what he was trying to do in a clear, honest, transparent way.
- There is a pattern emerging in the last 6-7 months. Parties which talk about Digital India are creating Divisive India.
- They are trying to create a Destructive India. This can never happen in Bengal.
- For years and centuries people from all communities – Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Jains – have lived in harmony in Bengal.
- Trinamool stands for tolerance. Trinamool Congress stands for communal harmony. Trinamool stands for decency in politics.
- We believe, Sare Jahaan Se Achhe, Hindustan Humara.
- Our senior leaders have called for restraint. Our young MP Abhishek has also asked for restraint on social media.
- On a personal level, Abhishek Banerjee has also forgiven the perpetrator of yesterday’s incident.