January 22, 2015
Subhas Utsav – Celebrating Netaji’s Birth Anniversary
West Bengal Government is celebrating ‘Subhas Utasav’ on 22-23 January, 2015 to commemorate the 118th birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose. The festival is being organised by the Department of Youth Affairs, Govt of West Bengal.
WB CM Ms Mamata Banerjee participated in the celebrations along with other dignitaries at Darjeeling Mall on 23rd January at 12 noon. Celebrations in the past took place in Kolkata but on the initiative of our present Chief Minister, the official celebration of Netaji’s birth anniversary was held in Darjeeling last year.
This Utsav will comprise many programmes and competitions including processions, exhibitions on the life and work of Subhas Chandra, quizzes on him, debates, sit & draw competition, essay writing and other events.
Incidentally, the grand nephew of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, Sugata Bose is a Trinamool MP representing Jadavpur constituency in the Lok Sabha.
Highlights of the Chief Minister’s speech at Darjeeling Mall:
- Netaji is one of the most inspirational persons in Indian history.
- There can never be a substitute for Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
- Netaji gave the slogan Jai Hind. He formed the Indian National Army.
- Netaji said renunciation and realisation are two sides of the coin.
- “Kadam kadam badaye jaa” is still a popular song.
- The final days of Netaji is still a mystery. What happened to him, no one knows. History is incomplete.
- History of India is incomplete. Netaji has not got the honour he deserved from the powers that be.
- Netaji gave the slogan of Dilli Chalo. People loved and adored Netaji.
- We have set up Jai Hind Bahini to serve people.
- Earlier the official celebration of Netaji’s birthday happened in #Kolkata. Now we hold it in the Hills.
- Earlier no one used to come to Darjeeling. I came to the Hills more than 40 times in 3 years.
- I love my brothers and sisters of the Hills. I do not discriminate on the basis of caste, creed, race or religion.
- If tourism prospers, Darjeeling will prosper. People will get jobs. Finances will improve.
- We love the soil of Bengal, the soil of India. Saare jahaan se acha, Hindustan humara.
- I pay my tributes to all those who risk their lives for the security of the country.
- I pay my tributes to all the martyrs who laid down their lives for India.
- I am ready to sacrifice my life for preserving the unity of this country.
- Let us salute the great son of the soil Netaji on his birth anniversary. Jai Hind.
(Updated on 23 January, 2015 at 1:00 PM)