January 19, 2015
We want Bengal to keep moving ahead on the path of development: WB CM at North Bengal Industry Meet
West Bengal Chief Minister Ms Mamata Banerjee today inaugurated the North Bengal Industry Meet-2015 at Uttar Kanya. She interacted with the prospective investors and renowned business persons of North Bengal during the meet.
Many industry and business representatives from neighbouring countries of Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh and 7 North Bengal districts participated. Many captains of industry from Kolkata have joined the programme.
North Bengal is the gateway to the North East, and its strategic proximity to Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh offers huge business potential. The region already received more than Rs. 4000 Crore investment proposals very recently which are being implemented on a fast track. Today’s Industry Meet has generated significant enthusiasm and lots of investment proposals are in the offing.
All the investment proposals will be monitored by a Core Committee for North Bengal and I will personally come every six months to review the progress. For the convenience of investors and tax payers of North Bengal, a new Bench of the West Bengal Sales Tax Appellate and Revisional Board in Siliguri has been launched today. An MSME Facilitation Centre and an Unique Clearance Centre to look into mutation and conversion of land for industrial purposes at “Uttarkanya” have also been created. The government is going to set up a new Convention Centre and an Industrial Fair Ground in North Bengal.
Highlights of the CM’s speech:
- From now, for paying taxes you do not have to go to Kolkata. Work can be done in Siliguri itself.
- We have brought down the loss in mandays due to Bandhs to zero.
- We do not support the politics of Bandh. We do not believe in destructive politics.
- Disputes should be solved through negotiations and talks.
- We want Bengal to move forward. We need your help and cooperation.
- Some media houses have negative attitude. They only show bad news 24X7.
- We will be providing skill development training to 10 lakh youth.
- We hosted Bengal Global Summit few days ago. Job opportunities will be created for 1 crore people in 2-3 years.
- We will create a fund worth Rs 200 crore to support entrepreneurs.
- We have set up a Unique Clearance Centre. A branch has been established today at Uttarkanya.
- We have created a portal for MSME sector.
- We are committed to rejuvenate the tea industry.
- Ambuja group & Keventer Group are investing in north Bengal. We wish them all the best for their new venture.