February 5, 2019
This is a moral victory for Bengal and the country: Mamata Banerjee on SC verdict
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today addressed the press at the dharna site where she is fighting to save the constitution. Reacting to the Supreme Court order on CBI issue, she said it was a moral victory for Bengal.
Highlights of Chief Minister’s speech:
- We respect the judiciary and the media. We are grateful and obliged. We welcome the Supreme Court verdict. This is what we wanted.
- The court has rejected the contempt of court allegation against us. This order (that Kolkata Police and CBI have to meet and talk mutually) was passed in the past also. The court has also said the Kolkata Commissioner of Police cannot be arrested.
- Even Rajeev Kumar, the Kolkata Commissioner of Police, had written 5 letters to the CBI saying he is reading meet at a mutual place.
- But the CBI went to his residence on a Sunday evening to arrest him. Supreme Court has clearly said today that he cannot be arrested.
- We respect All India service officers. But when central agencies don’t seek State’s permission and go to the residence of an IPS officer to arrest him, it is against the spirit of federal structure.
- This is a jana-andolan, not a Trinamool andolan. We are fighting to save India, save the Constitution. This is fight of crores of people, not Rajeev Kumar alone.
- We will strengthen our ties with other political parties. We will fulfill our slogan, Modi hatao, Desh bachao.
- I have struggled all my life. I had gone on a hunger strike here for safeguarding the rights of farmers.
- We have to protect the federal structure. Centre is trying to run a parallel administration. This has never happened before. This is happening because of the vindictive attitude of Modi-Shah.
- I am going to lay down my life but I will never compromise.
- I am an LIP (Less Important Person). I am just a simple citizen of the country. All the parties will together decide (who will become the Prime Minister of the country).
- There are many precedents of Chief Ministers sitting on dharna. This is my responsibility for my officers.