February 14, 2015
Organisational changes in Trinamool Congress
Trinamool Chairperson Mamata Banerjee presided over a meeting of Presidents of various district committees, heads of frontal organisations and senior leaders at her Kalighat office today.
Keeping in mind the growing national importance of the party several organisational changes were made in the meeting.
Party Secretary General Partha Chatterjee addressed the press after the meeting to make the following announcements:
- Trinamool has appointed Subrata Bakshi as All India General Secretary.
- Derek O’Brien, Firhad Hakim and Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar have been elevated to a new body which will function as the National Secretariat of the party.
- Subrata Mukherjee has been given the charge of Tripura. Suvendu Adhikari will oversee organisational activities in Assam. Derek O’Brien will oversee the party’s organisation in North Eastern states and Kerala.
- Dinesh Trivedi has been appointed as one of the new Vice Presidents of the party.
- Derek O’Brien and Kalyan Banerjee will keep in touch with like-minded parties and oversee functions in Parliament.
- Municipal elections were discussed today. We have formed committees for the same.
- We started the membership drive on January 1, 2015. Scrutiny committees will operate at district and State level.
- There will be no membership fees for family of martyrs. People can become primary members of the party by paying a fee of Re 1.
- One can also become a Associate or active member of the party by paying Rs 50000, which will be renewable every 5 years.
- All applications for membership will be submitted to District Scrutiny Committees, who in turn will forward them to State Scrutiny Committee for final approval.
- District Committees have been asked to prepare list of candidates for upcoming municipal polls, which will be submitted to State Committee. Mamata Banerjee will give final approval for the the candidate list.