February 16, 2015
Bengal Bypolls: TMC victorious in Bongaon and Krishnaganj
Trinamool Congress on Monday won the bypoll in Krishnaganj Assembly seat by a margin of over 37,000 votes and took a massive lead in Bongaon Lok Sabha seat in West Bengal.
TMC candidate Satyajit Biswas, who secured 95,397 votes, won the Krishnaganj seat by a margin of 36,960 votes.
In Bongaon (SC) Lok Sabha seat, TMC candidate Mamatabala Thakur won the election by a margin of over 2 lakh votes.
A voter turnout of 79.80 and 81.80 per cent respectively was recorded on February 13 in the by-elections to Bongaon Lok Sabha seat and Krishnaganj Assembly seat.
The Bongaon LS seat fell vacant after the death of Trinamool Congress member Kapil Krishna Thakur on October 13 last year. In the Krishnaganj seat, the election was being held due to the death of the sitting TMC MLA Sushil Biswas on October 21 last year.
Partha Chatterjee, Secretary General of AITC, addressed the press after the results. Here are some of the excerpts from the press meet:
- We thank the people of Bongaon and Krishnaganj. People have the final say in a democracy.
- People have reposed their faith on Mamata Banerjee despite the slander campaign by Opposition.
- Trinamool has not only won but emerged victorious by a huge margin.
- People have given the mandate in favour of the developmental agenda of Mamata Banerjee.
- Let them try to bloom water lilies first then they can dream about lotus blooming.
- Quality of life of people has improved. People have witnessed development. That is why they showered us with blessings.
- Slander campaign and propaganda will not work. Development speaks. We will continue to work for people.
- We dedicate the victory to Maa, Mati, Manush. I congratulate and thank TMC workers.