November 30, 2015
Bengal’s development cannot be halted by Centre’s neglect: WB CM
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today lashed out at the Centre saying that progress and development of Bengal will not be halted due to paucity of funds and neglect of the Centre.
She was speaking at a public meeting at Amta in Howrah district where she launched a bouquet of projects.
“CPM incurred debts, BJP is taking our revenue away. Congress promised to give a package but didn’t keep its promise. We are creating pressure on Centre to release all pending funds. Why should we pay for the sins of the CPM?” she said.
“Have faith on us. We are working for you despite financial compulsions. We want to work more and more for people,” she added.
Bouquet of projects
WB CM today launched the ‘Sabuj Sathi’ project for Howrah and flagged off 31 buses over 11 routes for the district. WB CM also laid the foundation stone for a 300-bedded multi super speciality hospital at Uluberia.
The projects WB CM inaugurated today include road projects, several health care projects, Karma Tirtha, new buses for the districts, Pather Sathi motels, bridges, hostels for boys and girls.
The West Bengal Chief Minister laid the foundation stones for renovation of administrative buildings, minority hostels, godowns, renovation of Damodar river, various irrigation projects among other things.
The CM also distributed several services including Kanyashree, Yuvashree, Sikshashree, equipment to fishermen, Kisan and artisan credit cards, different agricultural machineries and equipment, pattas, financial assistance for natural disasters and a host of other such services.
Highlights of WB CM’s speech:
· Today I have laid the foundation stone for a multi super speciality hospital at Uluberia. It will be complete in a year
· Unlike other governments, we always fulfill our promises. We never make promises that we cannot keep
· We will develop Amta Sporting Ground as a stadium. We will allocate Rs 50 lakh
· I am meeting you all after month-long festivities. May the divine mother keep you all well
· WB CM chants “Sarva Mangal Mangalye” and says she stand for ‘sarva dharma samanyay
· I work for the people to the best of my capabilities
· The previous government incurred so much debt that Centre is taking away Rs 28000 Cr every year
· We increased our revenues from Rs 21000 Cr to Rs 40000 Cr but Centre is taking away Rs 28000 Cr every year
· Despite our financial stress, salaries of govt employees, teachers has not been hampered
· Centre has stopped giving funds for Asha/ICDS workers. Yet we are paying them every month
· The money that Centre gives us is collected as revenue by States. This is like frying fish in fish oil
· I do not seek material wealth. I belong to a humble background and will stay like this all my life. I will struggle for people
· 81% people in Howrah have received government grants and benefits
· We have inaugurated and laid foundation stones for projects worth Rs 200 Cr today. 1.43 lakh people will be benefited
· We set up a “Kanyashree Sangha” comprising 100 schools in North 24 Parganas where they are given training for karate and other skills
· The new generation of youths and students is our future. We have to plan for their future
· Like Kanyashree, Shikkhashree, Yuvashree, we have started a new scheme Sabuj Sathi for school children
· Students of 9-12, irrespective of gender, religion or caste, will get cycles. We will distribute cycles to 40 lakh students
· The logo of ‘Sabuj Sathi’ has been designed by me. It represents the spirit of the youth
· I strongly believe the youth of today will win over the world one day. Bengal will become Biswa Bangla
· Bolo bolo bolo shawbey, Bangla abar biswa sobhaye sreshtho ashon lawbey
· We have introduced a fleet of new buses along 31 routes. This will help people a lot
· Healthcare is now free in Bengal. You do not have to pay for beds and medicines
· We have started fair price medicine shops where discounts worth 60-70% are offered
· We have also started fair price diagnostic centres where dialysis can be performed at Rs 500 only
· 176 Krishak Bazaars have been set up. 3 Kisan Mandis have been set up in Howrah district
· Farmers never got compensation for crop loss due to floods earlier. We have given compensation to 96000 farmers
· A lot of industrial parks are coming up in Howrah district which will generate jobs for 30000 people
· We have tied up with Japan to set up a ‘Shilpa Tirtha’ at Belur where one lakh people will get jobs
· We have laid the foundation stone for Handloom Hub at Udaynarayanpur
· 3.2 Cr people out of 9 Cr people in Bengal are given rice at Rs 2/kg
· CPM incurred debts, BJP is taking our revenue away. Congress promised to give a package but didn’t keep its promise
· 3 crore people will additionally get rice at Rs 3/kg under Food Security Act
· One crore people will also get rice at PDS rates. This means 7 Cr out of 9 Cr people in Bengal will get food at subsidised rate
· CPM gave scholarships to 4 lakh students. We distributed scholarships to 84 lakh students, 4.71 lakhs in Howrah alone
· Work for 14 water supply projects is going on. We will provide electricity to every household by March/April 2016
· The black days of loadshedding are gone. We are now self-sufficient in power
· Work for Uluberia flyover has already begun. I had announced the project
· The 34 years of Left rule were marred by violence in Singur, Nandigram, Netai
· We are setting up polytechnic colleges and ITIs in every sub-division. 41 multi super speciality hospitals are coming up
· Have faith on us. We are working for you despite financial compulsions. We want to work more and more for people
· We are creating pressure on Centre to release all pending funds. Why should we pay for the sins of the CPM?
· We had recruited over one lakh civic volunteers after coming to powe. They are working harder
· If Centre stops taking our revenue away, we can work more for people
· After floods in Chennai, Centre releases funds in 3 days. It’s been months since floods in Bengal, not a single penny has been given
· Does the Centre feel no shame? They are not giving funds meant for people in distress
· The Opposition only appears on TV studios and spreads canards against Mamata Banerjee
· I will not tolerate wrong actions. No matter who is at fault I have taken action
· Bengal’s development cannot be halted by apathy and neglect by Centre