November 26, 2015
Biswa Bangla Sharod Samman given away
West Bengal government, led by Mamata Banerjee, had instituted the ‘Biswa Bangla Sharod Samman’ in 2014 to honour the best durga puja committees in not just Kolkata and Bengal but across the globe.
This year was the second season of the awards. Response from across various countries was huge.
The prizes for the best puja committees were given away today at a glorious ceremony held at Nazrul Mancha.
Here is the list of winners:
Awards will be given in the categories like Sera Mandop, Sera Protima, Sera Aloksojja and Sera Bhabna. Innovative awards include Sera Abiskar, Sera Silpi, Sera Theme Song/Aboho, Sera Paribesh Bandhab.
Awards are also being given the categories Sera Branding and Sera Dhakesri.
Biswa Bangla Sharod Samman holds in its purview not only the pujas of Kolkata and Bengal but also of other Indian cities and foreign countries where Bengalis celebrate the autumn fest with equal mirth and enthusiasm.
Highlights of WB CM’s speech:
- Bengal turns into a museum of art during Durga Puja. The creativity of Bengal is on display at that time
- My vision of Biswa Bangla wants to establish Bengal as a global name. We want Bengal to be the best
- We are very happy to see various committees – big and small – from different parts of the country present today
- I want to thank the Police for their tireless efforts during Puja
- From next year we are planning to organise an immersion procession involving all puja committees during Durga Puja
- A lot of commercial activities are associated with Durga Puja. Several people get employment
- We will establish Durga Puja as a global tourist attraction in the future. Durga Puja brings with it a breath of fresh air in our lives
- The wait for next year’s Durga Puja starts from the moment the idol is immersed
- There can be no discrimination between Maa, Mother and Ammi
- I invite all of you to come to Bengal against next year for Durga Puja. Let us transform into Biswa Bangla