May 3, 2018
Reject outright the Opposition’s malicious campaign and unfounded allegations: AITC MPs in letter to President of India
A delegation of AITC Parliamentary Party, along with the family members of party workers killed by BJP in pre-poll violence, today called on the Hon’ble President Ram Nath Kovind at Rashtrapati Bhavan. Every family member described in detail to the Hon’ble President the horrors unleashed upon them by the Opposition.
Reproduced below is the memorandum in full.
May 3, 2018
The Hon’ble President of India
At the outset, we, the Members of the Parliament, belonging to the All India Trinamool Congress, would like to convey our highest regards to you.
We would like to apprise you of some issues which have been brought to your kind notice very recently by the Members of the Ruling political party at the Centre, which are distorted and misleading in nature.
Respected Sir, Panchayat election is a local election, where more than 58 thousand booths throughout West Bengal will go for the polls on 14 May 2018. At the time of filing nomination papers, the BJP started spreading rumours and misleading the people, saying that opposition parties are not being allowed to file nominations. This was spread through one particular ‘sponsored’ media group.
The fact that the Opposition has not been able to submit nominations is not at all true, as more than 96 thousand nominations have been filed by the Opposition parties. If they have not been allowed to file nomination papers, how is it possible that more than 2 lakh nominations in total have been filed? Out of these, more than 96 thousand are from the Opposition. During the period of filing nominations, the entire administration from district level to the block level, along with the police officials worked together for the common people.
Respected Sir, few incidents, however, did take place. These have been over-projected through one particular ‘sponsored’ media group to tarnish the image of the Government, which has worked wonders in West Bengal after being voted to power in 2011.
Before 2011, political violence was the maximum in West Bengal. In Jangal Mahal itself, more than 300 people were killed. At that time, man-days lost due to bandhs and strikes were about 78 lakh.
The picture changed dramatically after the All India Trinamool Congress Party came to power in 2011. While Darjeeling and Jangal Mahal are totally peaceful, there is zero man-days loss in the State of West Bengal.
Respected Sir, you would no doubt appreciate that West Bengal now has become Number One in the country in the spheres detailed below:
- Number One in man-days generation and total expenditure under 100-Days’ Work
- Number One in Bank Credit Flows to the MSME Sector
- Number One in the Ease of Doing Business
- Number One in Minority Scholarships
- Number One in Minority Loans (for self-employment)
- Number One in Rural Housing
- Number One in Rural Connectivity
- Number One in Skills
- Number One in Transparency and e-Tendering
In order to tarnish the image of West Bengal and to mislead the people by citing some incidents, the BJP got themselves involved in lynching and killing by hiring people from outside the State and fomenting communal violence.
Respected Sir, you will be shocked and saddened to learn that 5 murder cases took place very recently and all the persons killed belong to the All India Trinamool Congress Party. The list of persons killed is given below:
- On 11.04.18, around 17.00 hrs, some supporters of TMC Party assembled near Beliaghata Bridge Party Office under Shasan Police Station, Basirhat Police District to celebrate the uncontested victory in c/w the Falti Beliaghata Gram Panchayat. During the celebration, one Rajab Ali of Uttar Falti stabbed one Saifar Rahaman of Dakshin Baidyapur and fled away. The said Saifar expired on the way to hospital.
- On 22.04.18, around 05.00 hrs, one Abdul Ali Mondal along with three others all of Nityananda Kati under Basirhat Police Station, North 24 Parganas allegedly murdered one Amirul Mollick of the same area by slashing the throat and dumped the body in the drain near his house. The deceased belongs to TMC Party.
- On 14.04.18, around 16.30 hrs, one Kala Das of Fulbari along with 15 others restrained and assaulted one Bablu Sarkar, member of TMC, of Kethi near Nabaganj Bazar under Ghoksadanga Police Station of Coochbehar district, with the intention to kill, while returning home riding a bike. He was taken to the nearest hospital where he succumbed to his injuries on 20.04.2018. Arrest-03.
- On 23.04.18, around 11.30 hrs., while one Dildar Khan along with his wife was proceeding towards Suri-I BDO Office under Suri Police Station, Birbhum for filing nomination in respect of his wife as a TMC candidate in c/w ensuring Panchayat Election 2018, some armed BJP supporters led by one Shyamsundar Lorain shot dead the said Dildar Khan over political rivalry.
- On 19.04.18, one Ajit Debnath of Sundarpore Satberia, PS Gopalnagar was shot at night while at home; hesubsequently succumbed to his injuries in hospital on 22.04.18. His wife Padma was also injured in the attack; however, she survived.
It is very unfortunate that we have to bring this to your kind attention that in each and every murder, as described above, the BJP is involved.
Respected Sir, we do sincerely hope and know that your high office would appreciate the true situation on the ground perpetrated by a section of political parties opposed to peaceful democratic processes in Bengal. We appeal to you in the best interest of peace and democracy, to outright reject their malicious campaign and unfounded allegations.
Members of Parliament
from All India Trinamool Congress Party
Shri Sudip Bandyopadhyay
Shri Derek O’Brien
Dr Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar
Shri Md Nadimul Hague
Shri Sunil Kumar Mondal
Smt Pratima Mondal
Dr Uma Saren
Shri Partha Pratim Ray