April 18, 2015
Trinamool thanks people for peaceful KMC polls
People of Kolkata today came out in large numbers to vote for the Kolkata Municipal Election 2015. Long queues could be observed in front of the polling booths of all the 144 wards.
59.2% polling was recorded till 3 PM; the figure is expected to rise as people were waiting in queues at several polling booths.
Trinamool Secretary General Partha Chatterjee, Trinamool Youth Congress President Abhishek Bandyopadhyay and Chief National Spokesperson & Leader of the party in Rajya Sabha, Derek O’Brien conducted at a post-poll press conference at Trinamool Bhavan.
Highlights of Partha Chatterjee’s statement:
• The polls today were peaceful, free and fair. We thank the people of Kolkata, we thank the administration for conducting peaceful polls.
• Few sections were trying to spread canards. The long queues at polling stations answered such propaganda.
• People have voted fearlessly. We thank them for that. Our aim is to further speed up the process of development.
• We have witnessed rigging and terror in the past elections. This time they were peaceful. Administration deserves credit.
• The Opposition was banking on a few stray incidents to paint a bad picture. Their hopes have been dashed by peaceful polls.
• The Opposition should work with us for the development of Bengal. But they want to derail Ms Mamata Banerjee’s agenda of progress.
Highlights of Derek O’Brien’s statement:
- Thank you Kolkata for voting peacefully. Opposition parties know they are going to lose. So they are suffering from ‘excus-itis’.
- Mentored by WB CM, a lot of good work has been done by KMC in the last 5 years. We are confident people will bless us abundantly.