April 14, 2015
KMC: The road ahead, promises to keep
Kolkata Municipal Corporation in keeping with WB CM Ms Mamata Banerjee’s dream of greener and cleaner Kolkata has brought remarkable changes in every sphere to provide better services to the citizens.
While various beautification projects are visible and appreciated, infrastructural facilities have also been upgraded.
In the forthcoming months KMC wishes to undertake the following projects:
- Installation of CCTV cameras, in successive stages, at important locations along the roads and in the markets in the city keeping in mind the safety of the ordinary citizens
- Setting up call centres at various points across the city, where taxpayers may register their grievances, and also where they would get to know about the latest initiatives of KMC
- Modern compactor system to completely replace the age-old vat system for collection of garbage. This is a very crucial step in making Kolkata a garbage-free city
- Continuing afforestation programmes with greater thrust to create more and more pollution-free areas across the city
- Employing mobile apps to make municipal services more user-friendly
- Using solar power to light up the 300 parks in Kolkata
- Constructing foot overbridges with escalators at the busier points in the city, like Deshapriya Park, Ballygunge Phari, Ballygunge Siksha Sadan and South City
For city slums
- Over the next five years KMC wishes to bring slum-dwellers under the ambit of various social security schemes and giving them entrepreneurial training would make them financially independent besides, organising continuous awareness camps for slum-dwellers for their overall socio-economic development.
- The way Hatgachia-1 slum in Ward 58 has been made a ‘Model Slum’, wherever similar geographical affinity exists, such slums would be developed as Model Slums.
- The fire hazard surveys in slums undertaken by officers of Kolkata Municipal Corporation and the relaying of electrical wires hanging dangerously over various slums are to be continued with renewed vigour.
- The underground drainage systems in slums would be developed.
- Like being done now, the Slums Department of Kolkata Municipal Corporation would continue to build pay-and-use toilets and community centres for members of minority communities, as per residents’ demands and recommendations of the people’s representatives.
Projects to be undertaken by the Health Department:
- At present there are five dengue diagnostics centres in five Boroughs. In addition, ten centres will be constructed in rest of the Boroughs under National Health Mission scheme.
- Health Centres in three wards have been brought under National Urban Health Mission. 87 more wards (a total of 90 wards) will be brought under the scheme.
- Each Borough and later each ward will have integrated laboratories fitted with the Public Health Centres for conducting examination of urine, stool, serum, cholesterol, blood urea, serum creatinine, serum bilirubin, serum uric acid SGPT etc.
- Mobile clinics will be set up to serve the poor and very sick patients at their doorsteps.
- Modern waiting room will be constructed in Nimtala Ghat and other crematoriums for the family of the deceased.
- Under National Urban Health Mission, a Community Health Centre with a capacity of 100 beds will be set up.
- Modernisation of Mosquito Research Centre will be expedited so that mosquito breeding and identification of mosquitoes can be done at a greater speed.
- In all wards to destroy mosquito larvae, provisions for Gappi fish cultivation have been made.
- At present in various canals we are using 20 row-boats to destroy the Culex mosquito larvae. 8 row-boats will be used for this purpose.
The Engineering Department wishes to fulfill the following promises in the near future:
- According to necessity there will be more development and construction work which will be done for sanitation and drainage systems from Borough XI XV
- The construction of remaining parts of the new roadway system will be started in Borough XI XV
- All country roads of the new Wards 142, 143 and 144 will be concretised
- More development and beautification will be done in all main roads of the city
- More development and repair work will be taken up in all footpaths in the city
- Sanitary and drainage systems to be set up where they are not present as of yet
- Measures taken to build new roads and footpaths
- Rest of the ghats of Hooghly river bank is planned to be renovated
- Foot bridges for the pedestrians will be constructed on main road junctions of the city
- Expansion of Kashi Mitra crematorium, Cossipore Burning Ghat and Birjunala crematorium is planned to be expanded
- Construction of the 300 feet long ‘Single Span Steel Bridge’ at Babughat for walking has been taken up. With the help of this bridge the people can walk across from Princep Ghat to Armenian Ghat
- Expansion of Hooghly bank will be done
- Expansion of Matri Sadan at Kidderpore will be initiated
- An annexe office building will be constructed at Chaplin Square
- More ward health centres will be constructed under National Health Mission
- 400 slaughter houses with one modern slaughter house for goats only is to be constructed at Rabindra Sarani
- Community halls will be constructed in wards which presently have none
- Railing on the edges of main roads are to be beautified
- Leveling of roads are to be undertaken in north Kolkata where road levels are higher than that of the houses
- Diversification of Boroughs will be done for giving better and faster services
- Hindu and Muslim crematoriums are to be further developed
- More ‘night shelters’ will be constructed for street dwellers
- Primary municipal corporation schools will be set up with more facilities and provided with further opportunities
- More parks will be constructed for roadside beautification and a greener city
- More road dividers and plantations will be done for increasing the speed of vehicles on main roads
- More beautification will be done at all main road junctions and islands in the city