September 21, 2015
Will not allow communal tension in Bengal: WB CM
West Bengal Chief Minister Ms Mamata Banerjee today said she will not allow anyone to incite communal tension in the state. She was speaking at ‘Progotir Pothe’, a felicitation programme organised by the Minority Development Department to honour achievers from the minority community in various fields.
She also said that in Bengal the government will not impose on people what to eat and what to wear.
WB CM congratulated the minority community for their good performance in WBCS; this year 26 out of 82 candidates who qualified the WBCS were from minority community. Four hundred students of the minority community qualified the MBBS examination and students also shined in the WBJEE examination.
She reiterated that she is working tirelessly for the development of the State, including minorities, despite the paucity of funds. The Chief Minister slammed the Left for leaving a huge debt legacy. She attacked the Centre for taking away every penny of the revenue of the State.
Se sought suggestions from various communities on welfare schemes and reiterated her commitment of providing speedy services to all.
She also highlighted the work done by the government in the last four years for the welfare of minorities:
- We reviewed, surveyed and included Muslims under OBC reservation.
- The budget of Minority Affairs Department from Rs 472 crore to Rs 2400 crore.
- More than 50,000 people have performed Haj in the last four years.
- 14,000 students were given education loans.
- Minority Bhavans are being set up in the districts.
- Government is working towards making Urdu the second language in minority-dominated areas.
- 153 hostels for women from minority communities being set up.
- A Urdu-medium Women’s College is coming up in Iqbalpur.
- A pilgrim centre is being set up at Furfura Sharif.