June 19, 2015
WB CM inaugurates Biswa Bangla store at Bagdogra Airport
West Bengal Chief Minister Ms Mamata Banerjee inaugurated the outlet of the Biswa Bangla chain of stores at Bagdogra Airport today.
The government-run chain of stores is the brainchild of West Bengal Chief Minister Ms Mamata Banerjee and has been set up by the Micro and Small-scale Enterprises and Textiles Department to showcase all handicrafts, handloom and other traditional and famous products of the State.
For the first time, all exclusive products of Bengal, from sweets to muslin saris, have been made available under one umbrella. The marketing strategy is different from the familiar Manjusha or Tantuja stores.
Sweets: Rosogolla, nolen gurersandesh, langcha and mihidana are the popular picks here.
This and that:
- Darjeeling tea, apparel, amsotto and kasundi (both from Maldah), jute bags and brass and silver jewellery are available.
- Jute bags with an ‘I love Bengal’ logo on them have been specially designed for the store.
- Indigo-dyed saris are being produced by weavers in Nadia’s Phulia. The hand spun and hand-woven yarn is dyed in indigo and then woven into Jamdani saris.
- Khadi shirts for men, silk kurtis for women, Kantha and Jamdani matka saris, and shawls are available at the store.
- Special-edition CDs of Bengali folk music, Tagore, Nazrul and baul songs, and Mahsishasur Mardini have been produced for the store.