April 6, 2019
We are not afraid of the threats the BJP is making: Mamata Banerjee at Barobisha, Alipurduar
Trinamool Congress Chairperson Mamata Banerjee today addressed a public meeting at Barobisha in Alipurduar district. Giving part of her speech in the local dialect, Mamata Banerjee said, for the progress of the people, vote for the right candidate and do not be misled. She stressed on the fact that only Trinamool is capable of unseating the BJP from power at the Centre.
Highlights of her speech:
- Many measures have been taken for the development of the region, from health and infrastructure to education and job creation.
- At the time of election, the BJP comes here with sacks full of money, distributes and seeks votes. Do not listen to them.
- Modi had promised the opening of tea gardens. But he has not opened a single one. And he called himself a chaiwala! No one came to stand by your side before we did.
- Since he was unable to deliver, he has changed his appearance and is now calling himself a chowkidar. But even here he will not be successful.
- After we came to power, we have made Alipurduar a separate district, helped the stricken gardens with water, electricity, food and healthcare services. Our schemes like Kanyashree have helped lakhs of underprivileged girls.
- We will never deprive the poor of the opportunities that are now available to them. Our MPs have spent their area development funds for the development of their regions. Rs 2 a kg of rice, 100 days’ work – all these are feathers in the Trinamool Government’s cap, and no one has to bribe anyone to get these.
- Who is John Barla? He is a person who was the cause of trouble, from riots to clashes between communities. The BJP could not find a better candidate. But we will not allow him to win. We will not vote for him. We will not vote for a party that causes riots and creates trouble.
- We have solved land issues as well, from Chhitmahal areas (enclaves) to tribal forest land. We have given land rights to the rightful people.
- NRC is being imposed by the BJP in Assam. They are excluding Bengalis, even Hindus. Chasing away Bengalis is not that easy. We will not allow that.
- About the Citizen Amendment Bill, they are saying they will give citizenship after six years of stay. But what will families do during that time? How will they access day-to-day necessities?
- We respect forest rights. Farmers’ credit cards are already being issued. Farmers’ incomes have more than doubled, and several facilities, including insurance and health, have been made available to them.
- Let me warn you, if the BJP wins, the independence of the country and the liberty of its people will be at stake. Freedom of religion will be at stake. What to eat and what to wear will be dictated to you. It will be as if Hitler’s grandfather will be sitting on your heads.
- Do not sell your votes to these people. Do not be misled. Vote for Trinamool and live like proper human beings; get more opportunities and facilities. We are committed to the improvement of standards of living.
- We have encouraged all languages and set up academies for many of them, unlike the BJP.
- I welcome the central forces, but they must work hand in hand with the State forces for proper and smooth voting.
- If you want to replace people, go ahead. If you can, replace me first.
- They have replaced good police officials, but that will not affect us.
- We are not afraid of the threats that the BJP is making. The more they try to stop us, the more we will move ahead. Remember, Bengal is the land of the royal Bengal tiger as well as huge elephants who can scare away the cheats and liars.