April 25, 2019
Marketing a gesture of courtesy is not conducive in democracy: Mamata Banerjee at Suri
Trinamool Chairperson Mamata Banerjee today addressed a public meeting at Suri in Birbhum district. In her speech she attacked the Prime Minister and said marketing a gesture of courtesy is not conducive in democracy.
Highlights of her speech:
- Modi babu has said I send him kurtas. Where is the problem? We send gifts to all during Durga Puja. We have opened the Biswa Bangla brand. We are empowering our artisans. We send these products not just to Modi babu but everyone. We don’t publicise it like Modi babu. Courtesy and politics are different. I send letters on birthdays to everyone.
- Marketing a gesture of courtesy is not conducive in democracy.
- I heard that yesterday the Prime Minister said we raise ‘goons’ here. He also said that Bangla did not witness any development. Another ‘signboard’ leader said Birbhum is Rabindranath Tagore’s birthplace. They don’t have any knowledge. They don’t do any homework
- They say that nothing has been done in Birbhum. I challenge them to prove me wrong. After Trinamool came to power, 99% families in this district have got some benefit from the government.
- In Birbhum the largest coal mine in the country is coming up. I want to know from Narendra Modi he delayed the process for three years by not signing an MOU. I want an answer for that.
- This is a project worth Rs 12,000 crore and thousands of locals will get employment. Your government hasn’t done anything about it under your instruction, as you don’t want to give Bangla anything.
- Just for the lack of an MoU, work cannot be started. I have called and enquired several times and the only answer I got is that the Prime Minister has said no. So, don’t you feel any shame?
- You want to know what Mamata Banerjee has done? First you answer me, give an explanation. Then point your finger at me. First you answer, then ask for votes.
- We worship with flowers. Their worship involves armed rallies with mace and swords. This is not the culture of Bengal
- Bengal does not tolerate riots. Like a human body is incomplete without all organs, the society is incomplete without all communities
- I belong to a simple family. They are calling me goon. If I am a goon, what are you? I have never orchestrated riots. We don’t do politics of violence. Do you remember 2002 Godhra riots?
- They are controlling the media. Journalists are afraid to speak out or else they will be killed
- I cannot be intimidated. I have fought against the Left. I have been beaten up but I never gave up. I am not afraid of Narendra Modi
- They are suffering from the fear of defeat. That is why they are coming to Bengal so often to campaign. They can never be seen during disasters or accidents. They come here as seasonal birds
- The more you abuse us, they higher the mandate will be in our favour
- They are bringing boxes full of money. This is the money of people. This money was looted during demonetisation
- Do not allow anyone to buy your votes for money. Cast your vote without fear
- Earlier he used to call himself a chaiwallah. Then he gave up his kettle for Jaitley. Now he pretends to be a chowkidar
- Teach these rioters a lesson. Bring about a change in government at Centre. Give them a democratic burial