April 19, 2019
Trinamool MPs are the best performing MPs: Mamata Banerjee in Balurghat
Trinamool Congress Chairperson Mamata Banerjee today addressed a public meeting in Balurghat, in support of the party’s candidate for the Lok Sabha elections. She spoke on the atrocities of the BJP and asked the people to vote for a progressive, secular government at the Centre.
Highlights of her speech:
- The Trinamool is doing well not just in the State but In Delhi as well. Our team of MPs has spoken out against the BJP across the country and shown the people how the country is going on the wrong track. Our team of MPs is the best-performing team in their areas as well.
- Every vote is priceless. A crorepati’s vote has the same value as that of a rickshaw puller’s. So do not waste your votes. Use that power to vote out the BJP.
- When you had voted Arpita to victory last time, we were not in government at the Centre. But as a party we fought the fascist BJP day in and day out, inside parliament and outside parliament.
- We have spoken out against all anti-people measures, be it petrol and diesel prices, farmer suicides, making people unemployed, atrocities against the minorities and Dalits, or several other issues.
- This election is for the whole country – remember that if Modi Babu comes back to power, people will lose all liberties.
- I request all Adivasis not to support BJP – the party has committed a lot of atrocities on them.
- Balurghat has a lot of tradition – be it in culture or sports or any other area.
- We have done a lot here – stadiums, multi-gyms, handloom hub, industrial centres, bridges, roads, technical training colleges, multi-super specialty hospital, agricultural university, general university (coming up), ICUs, CCUs, HDUs, fair-price medicine shops and diagnostic centres, work under the 100 Days’ Work Scheme, airport, etc.
- As Railway Minister, I had sanctioned several projects which were not implemented by the BJP government; if we come to power, I’ll ensure they are completed.
- The working of self-help groups here under the Anandadhara Scheme has been made a model for the whole country.
- We give subsidised foodgrains under Khadya Sathi, we provide benefits for farmers under Krishak Bandhu.
- The railway and air transportation facilities set up in Balurghat will improve connectivity and hence, trade activities too.
- I request the BSF and the local police to work together for the welfare of the people, and not to go by the commands of the BJP. Remember, I feel for you and want your good.
- I don’t look at political colour when helping people – I help them to the best of my ability.
- The BJP creates inter-religious and even intra-religious disturbances, pitting one group against the other.
- I have always known that our tradition and culture is to respect people, and give respect to our elders.
- The CPI(M) leaders and workers are now working for the BJP. But Trinamool will never leave even an inch of space to the BJP.
- The BJP will lose badly across the country, including in Bangla, and therefore will not be able to form the next government. Hence the party is intent in creating rifts among the people and dividing the States.
- Even on seeing BJP leaders, people get scared, thinking that here they come again to instigate riots. But good politics is to be carried out intelligently and with love and care.
- Like children are slapped by their mothers for being naughty, punish the BJP by giving them the slap of vote – this is the way to do things in a democracy.
- They are erasing and rewriting history and our great leaders are being sidelined – there’s only the fanfare around Modi now
- Arpita is a hard worker, and has worked hard for the people. She has always fought for your getting the benefits of developmental work. On this issue, she has even fought with with me in some cases, and that is something I highly appreciate, as I always support people who want to bring development for the people.
- The BJP is trying to buy votes with money. But you must reject such leaders and such a party.
- The price of a vote is beyond the purchasing power of anybody – every vote is priceless. A crorepati’s vote has the same value as that of a rickshaw puller’s. So do not waste your votes.
- I too am a Hindu, but I believe in the Hinduism of Swami Vivekananda, Sri Ramakrishna, Maa Kali, Maa Durga, Maa Saraswati and such saints and gods.
- I follow Hindu ideals but that doesn’t mean I have to disrespect other religions. I participate in the activities of other religions too with the same faith and humility.
- I don’t follow the ideals of the BJP, which thinks it is the only one which is right.
- NRC has caused families to be divided; there have been instances wherein half the members of a family have had their names on the list and the other half don’t. This has caused unending distress and has even led to people committing suicide.
- The BJP is trying to impose NRC; therefore let us all resolve to give them the NBC, or ‘National Biday Certificate’ and throw them out of power.
- The CItizenship Bill the BJP is mulling will make foreigners out of you for six years and only then will you be considered for citizenship – something which will deprive you of your rights and livelihoods.
- I have fought for you to get river water supply for irrigation and drinking. The BJP has just sat quietly and done nothing.
- For all these reasons and more, don’t support the BJP; instead vote for the Trinamool Congress which will lead the government at the Centre. Have faith in us.
- Trinamool Congress will show the way to the country. We will oust the BJP from Delhi.
- Speak out against the atrocities of the BJP, throw them out.