January 12, 2016
Honouring Swami Vivekananda’s legacy: Bengal shows the way
West Bengal Government, led by Chief Minister Ms Mamata Banerjee has been pro-active since 2011 in honouring the great visionary and icon Swami Vivekananda.
“His life, work and vision is our inspiration and we are committed and proud to carry forward his message of universal brotherhood, peace, unity and development of humanity,” wrote Mamata Banerjee on her Facebook page.
Some works by West Bengal government in preserving the legacy of Swami Vivekananda:
- West Bengal government has given autonomy and special status to Ramakrishna and Sarada Mission educational institutions, which are associated with Swami Vivekananda’s ideology to impart education and foster character building.
- “Vivek Tirtha”, a Centre for Human Excellence coming up as a replica of the famous Art Institute of Chicago is being set up on 5 acres of land in New Town given by our Government. Government has also allocated Rs.10 Crore to start work of this centre of international excellence.
- Premises adjoining Swamiji’s ancestral house has been acquired and handed over to Ramakrishna Mission.
- “Mayer Bari” in Baghbazar is also being befittingly renovated and our government has allocated Rs.30 Crore for rehabilitation of people around the premises suitably.
- Ramakrishna Mission has renovated “Roy Villa” in Darjeeling associated with the memory of Sister Nivedita and we allocated Rs.2 Crore for this work. It has also been handed over to Ramakrishna Mission.
- The government has already acquired Sister Nivedita’s one house at Baghbazar and duly handed over to Ramakrishna Sarada Mission and are considering giving it heritage status.
- The famous shrine at Dakshineswar associated with the memory of Swami Vivekananda is being connected with a Sky Walk to facilitate easy movement of visitors.
- “Yuva Bharati Krirangan”, Bidhannagar of international repute has been named after Vivekananda.
- The Self Help and Self Employment Department runs a major self-help scheme for our youth in the name “Swami Vivekananda Swanirbhar Karmasansthan Prakalpa”.
- This year “Vivek Chetana Utsav” commemorating his birth anniversary is being celebrated in a befitting manner across all Blocks, Sub-divisions, Districts, Municipalities, Municipal Corporations, State from 10th to 12th January, 2016.